I don't care how the leader is made, but when you fish dry flies there is a huge advantage to a leader (and line for that matter) that float as compared to a leader (or line) that sinks. The Pick Up. A major advantage to dry flying is the ability to pick up 20 or 30 or 40 + feet of line and recast in a single motion. If your leader (or line) has submerged then that creates a whole lot more drag on your pick up and will kill a good long line pick up. Then you have to strip in more line thus taking more time plus making a couple false casts, and your fly just spent less time on the water, so a reduced chance of catching a fish. A submerged line will create a larger disturbance in the water when you are pulling it out, hence a greater chance of spooking a fish.

Notice I keep saying (and line) because if you don't keep your line clean it will sink. Many fly fishers do not keep a clean line. You should clean it every morning, give it a good stretch to take the coil memory out of it and treat it with a line cleaner/conditioner.

Just my thoughts on the subject. Now, get out there and try it out, meaning, get out and fish.

Larry ---sagefisher---