... Warren, but a matter of preference.

Or it could be a matter of habit - folks using tapered mono leaders that floated before they transitioned to furled leaders, which they think should float ( and for them, should float ).

In my case, when I learned to furl leaders, there was no discussion of making them float and I had no expectation whether they would or not. I started using them and they submerged and I did just fine with them so why change what is working for me ?? The times that I have experimented with trying to make my thread furled leaders float, I didn't like the results. Which reinforces the thought "why change what is working for me ??"

As far as tippet length and size go, I don't think that is necessarily an issue. If the leader is going to drag the fly down, it will likely do so whether one is using 2' of 2X or 4' of 4X or x' of yX. When I experimented with using furled fluoro leaders for dry fly fishing, at some point the leader drug down even larger dry flies.

The bigger problems, to my experience, are current differences and drag which effect even a floating fly line as much or more than they do a leader, whether said leader is floating or submerged. The stiffness of the leader is a factor in this situation - a stiff leader, like the Rio Extreme Tippet leaders I've used recently, tend to be pretty straight from the end of the line to the tippet ( and therefore, the fly ). There is not much "slack" in them to absorb the effects of the different currents so they drag the fly sooner than thread furled leaders which have a lot of slack between the end of the line and the tippet.

Maybe it is a matter of skill sets, also. Maybe my skill set is different ( not better or worse, just different ) because I started with thread leaders that submerge and know how to use them. Maybe people using furled leaders that float would "outfish" me every time fishing the same water that I fish because of a skill set centered on using floating leaders.

John

P.S. Whatever "outfish" means ?? The question should be can you "outfun" me ?? Not likely.