+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fireline Crystal

Hybrid View

Default Fireline Crystal

I have been furling for a couple years now (thanks to Kathy's DVD and some encouraging words at a fly fishing show). I have since been looking for the best all round material to make my leaders. I have used Uni, mono, flouro, nylon thread, polyester thread, and some materials with names I could not even read. I have seen advantages and disadvantages of the many materials I have tried, but last summer I started using Fireline Crystal and I do not think I will be furling anything else for a floating leader. I love the duribility, the way it turns over a wide variety of flies (dry and wet) and it floats forever. I have yet to see anybody talk about using this material, so, I was wondering ......I am the first one to use Fireline Crystal (which I doubt)? If you have had experiences with Fireline Crystal, I would certainly like to hear them.
    caribe

What is this Fireline Crystal, and where do you get it? Obviously, I've never used it, but would like to!
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Blog Entries

Betty,

I believe this is the material Caribe may be talking about:
    http://www.berkley-fishing.com/produ...-fused-crystal

But then, I could be wrong.

Larry ---sagefisher---

OK! Thank you! Next question ... it's available with weight equivalent to mono from .5 lbs up through 12 pounds. What weight would be suggested to compare to Uni-6/0 thread?

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Question Here's another question for you.

Betty -

Do you want to spend something around $5.00 per furled leader ??

That might take some of the fun out of it, especially if you goofed while making one and had to throw out the material.

John
    The fish are always right.

HA!! Been there ... done that!! Just ask Jack Hise!!

For the majority of the fly fishing I do, my beautiful little Uni thread and Uni mono leaders work wonderfully!! If the Berkley works well, under difficult conditions, 5 bucks would be a good investment.

That is my material of choice after trying a bunch of other things. I only make leaders for my own use and find that they last so well that I really have to find an excuse to switch to a new one.
    Yes it is a little disconcerting to mess one up and have to trash the line but then again it has a tendency to make you a little more careful and do it right.

Question Getting past the cost ...

... which really is no big deal if leaders made with this material last many times longer than a thread leader, a few other questions.

What is the optimum size of the material for a leader intended for all around use on rod weights 3 to 5 ??

Is the material inherently "floatable" or are you applying some kind of floatant to it, and, if so, what is the best floatant available for use with this material ??

Will this material hold an incorporated tip ring without wearing faster than if the tip end is finished with a shorb loop ??

John
    The fish are always right.

Betty;
    The 2# test would be close. But!! While the Fireline Crystal will add body to the leader for handling larger fly's (This will stir the Pot!!) it will not add strength.

+ Reply to Thread