+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2011 Playing Hooky Thread

Hybrid View

Default 2011 Playing Hooky Thread

Well it's a new year and time for a new thread.

It's already been busy around here as well as cold. The river I fish is virtually frozen over but it's been a tad warmer the past couple days so I thought I would poke around up there.

On the way up I spotted this guy first sitting on an iceshelf in the middle of the river, but by the time I got the camera out he was perched on this rock outcropping.

Then he took off and I snapped a couple more pics as he made a big circle around me.

Finally I made it up to my favorite winter time hole only to see I wasn't going to be fishing where I usually fish here.

Just before christmas I puled a couple fish out of here in short order. I caught fish between the big boulder you see in the middle of the river and the smaller rock just downstream (flow is towards you in this pic) that is barely poking out above the ice in this picture. Then I caught a couple more just to the right of that little rock. Obviously that wasn't going to happen again today.

Here's another pic of the cold cold river.

I continued to drive up river until I arrived at another favorite spot I have often found fish sipping midges. I was pretty sure it would be frozen over as it is a long slow stretch that is a long way from any riffles. Somehow though this little stretch was relatively ice free (at least in the middle) so I got out and looked around. Things looked dead but I started walking along the bank dodging the thick willows that choked the bank. As I turned away from the river to duck through a narrow opening along the bank I heard a slurp that sounded a lot like a fish plucking a midge off the calm surface. I quickly turned around and spotted the dissipating ripples of the rise. A couple seconds later another fish rose then several more and I got that instant jolt of motivation and practically ran through those willows back to the truck to slap on the waders and grab the rod. A few moments later I was hooked up with my first fish of 2011, and to make matters sweeter it was on a dry fly marking the 12th month in a row I have managed to catch a trout on a dry.

I fished for another half hour over sporadically rising fish with no luck but my cold feet were beginning to scream that it was time to go. Just as I was about to call it a day another carbon copy brown took my fly and fish number 2 came to hand. This fish looked so much at first glance like the first one I wondered for a while if it was the same one, but further examination seems to prove otherwise.

So my first outing in 2011 was a success.

Honestly I enjoy the reward of challenging winter fly fishing about as much as anything I have ever done. What a blast.

Smile Great start ...

... on eleven !!

John
    The fish are always right.

That is great beautiful country, eagles and fish. I need to thicken my blood a little and find a few more clothes and go to the Hooch.

I don't have any eagles nearby that I am aware of, but one morning suddenly there was a hawk on the patio outside my office window, now 10 ft. away. Then feather started floating down from our deck above and I saw a dove in its talons. Hawks have to eat too.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Great start! Top-notch report/story/pictures as usual!
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Ben, most excellent, brother! Proud of you for getting out in such conditions and striking gold. Appears those two could be twin brothers or sisters...thanks for sharing.

I really appreciate the report since I'm unable to get out, but it certainly pains me all the more that I can't get out and do the same. Keep 'em coming

Kelly.
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

THATS IIIIIIIIITTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!! If the temperature ever gets to above 0 I'm going out! It's -6 right now with the wind chill at about -20. Nice fish though.

Oh, yeah, it's not fair because I can't play hookie. I own my own business and I'm the sole employee...sooooo not fair.

TT.

+ Reply to Thread