+ Reply to Thread

Thread: High stick nymphing/furled leaders

Default High stick nymphing/furled leaders

I once fished with a guy, who's a guide, fished many years in the East and West and who's never wrong about anything, if you know what kind of guy I mean. He said furled leaders cause you to miss takes when you're high stick nymphing. He's not old (57) so it's not like he's up in his 90s. Anyone have this experience or care to comment?
    Thanks,
    Bruce

Bruce, just my 2-cents, I use twisted leaders (very similar to furled) and attest to how well they work. Just go read my Fishing Report posts under Dad & the Kid 2010 and 2009 - http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/s...d-the-Kid-2010. All fish caught and represented in the posts were caught using a furled-type leader. Proof is in the puddin' in my world.

Kelly.
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

I would have to know if the "guy" was referring to a thread furled leader or a fluorocarbon furled leader. From my experience, the thread furled leader might be to limber to transmit the "tale-tale" strike like a stiffer fluorocarbon furled leader would. The thread furled leader will want to float higher and just "lose" contact with the tippet and this would cause you to miss strikes. Just my thoughts and nothing more.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

If I found it to be a problem I would just add a strand of gel spun thread....no give.

I use both thread and mono furled leaders and have been using them for about five years. I also use a Tenkara rod with a furled line. I can tell you that I have never had any kind of problem when fishing furled leaders or lines.

+ Reply to Thread