+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Montana Felt Sole Ban proposition

Hybrid View

Default Montana Felt Sole Ban proposition

http://data.opi.mt.gov/bills/2011/lchtml/LC1760.htm

Guess I could have put this on the Conservation Forum but I thought it would get more traction here (pun intended). Although I don't see banning felt as the magical cure-all and am not looking forward to discovering how well (or badly) studded rubber soles grip, the law, if enacted, will be what it is and I'm all for doing my part to help.

Regards,
    Scott

Blog Entries

Scott,

As it is written now, even if it gets voted in, it wouldn't start until October 2012, so two more years of safe felting before we have to chuck them away.

Thanks for posting this.

Larry ---sagefisher---

nighthawk Guest

didn't there used to be a saying about closing the barn door after the horse has already run off? as with all things in nature this too shall run it's course no matter what man does.

Maryland has done it this year, funny thing is they did it after the regulation books were printed so know one knows about it yet. I'm sure when it shows up in the local newspapers outdoor section its going to cause a stir. I contacted the Maryland fisheries dept. to find out how they are going to enforce it this year and they told me they have instructed the game wardens to not give tickets this year but to let the people know that felt has been banned. Should be an interesting topic when the fishing community finds out about it.

Rodney

nighthawk Guest

I have the cure! Everybody wade naked!

Quote Originally Posted by nighthawk View Post
    I have the cure! Everybody wade naked!
    Eric,
    We want to catch the fish, not scare them to death.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Quote Originally Posted by MidgeMadness View Post
    Maryland has done it this year, funny thing is they did it after the regulation books were printed so know one knows about it yet. I'm sure when it shows up in the local newspapers outdoor section its going to cause a stir. I contacted the Maryland fisheries dept. to find out how they are going to enforce it this year and they told me they have instructed the game wardens to not give tickets this year but to let the people know that felt has been banned. Should be an interesting topic when the fishing community finds out about it.

Rodney
    I wonder when they're going to announce it? Nothing on the Maryland DNR site about implementation of the ban.

Regards,
    Scott

I guess I can live with spiked rubber soles if I have to when I'm fishing from the bank, even though they're nowhere near as comfortable to walk in than plain felt soles are, but it seems to me that this will create a lot of problems for boat fisherman. I don't want to have cleats in my drift boat, and getting into and out of the boat with rubber soles without cleats can be a serious hazard in many places.

Personally, intead of banning felt I would prefer legislation that all boots be disinfected after every use. It would be much cheaper than dealing with a broken neck and back.

Cold Guest

Personally, intead of banning felt I would prefer legislation that all boots be disinfected after every use. It would be much cheaper than dealing with a broken neck and back.
    Nice idea, but how do you enforce it?

If they ever ban it in PA, I'll limit my fishing to backwoods streams where I won't see another soul, and continue to wear my felt.

When I have to fish in more populous areas, I'll wear the rubber soled shoes, and tape big pieces of felt to my legs.

I guess we didn't see this coming?? LOL It seems like someone is trying to corner the market on a specific rubber product, that's supposed to be "as good as" felt. Seems like Korkers may be the way to go if traveling from place to place, since you can change the type of sole of your boot. The funny thing about these "aquatic hitch hikers" is that they don't just stick to felt as many of you know. You got to scrub your boats, waders, take the laces out of your boots and bleach them pink. Another option is to freeze all your equipment after use since most of these little suckers die off below the freezing point.

I thought I also heard that government officials (fish and game, ect.) and rescue personal are allowed to use felt soles so they won't slip while they rescue people forced to wear the alternative. It's kinda like the cell phone law here in Oregon, it's OK for some but not for the rest. Not that I condone cell use while driving, just a comparison. I guess you can only claim ignorance to a certain point. Might as well velcro felt to the sides of your boots, and like Cold you can find other Loopholes.

+ Reply to Thread