+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bead color

Hybrid View

Default Bead color

Not to hijack Uncle Jesse's thread, so here's a separate question, does color make a difference on beadheads? I was sitting there tying and almost became paralyzed with doubt. The black or brown? Silver or gold? Aaaaack!

My rule of thumb is -When in doubt go Gold. I do have a number of pattern I use the glossy black on, but they are also primarily dark patterns. Only a few that I use silver for.

I prefer to use brass or gold colored beads unless I'm tying tandem streamers for some of those i'll use a transparent plastic pink/red hued bead

At times, absolutely, and at other times, not at all -- as with many aspects of fly tying. Just get a bigger fly box.

Beads are pretty! I like the gold ones, copper ones, silver ones, black ones, red ones, orange ones, ect... For Steelhead yes, you want a Orange or red bead on a nymph or leach. Alot of the other patterns it depends on what you "think" may appeal to the trout. I tie Rainbow Warriors with both silver and black tungsten beads, for PT I like to use copper or gold. Caddis can go gold or black. It's fun to mix and match. Does one work better than the other? I guess I'll leave that up to the fish.

herefishy,

I follow along the lines of luckie88. On my large rusty brown wooly buggers, I like to use an olive-brown bead - looking more for weight than flash. Going to try some red and green ones on some small (#24 and smaller) stuff this year. What whatfly said: "Just get a bigger fly box". LOL!!!

Best regards, Dave S.

+ Reply to Thread