+ Reply to Thread

Thread: FLY FISHING CUBA - Our man in Canada - January 10, 2011

Blog Entries

Default FLY FISHING CUBA - Our man in Canada - January 10, 2011

FLY FISHING CUBA

Note: I will mention various products and brand names. This is not a product endorsement. I simply use specifics so you can know exactly which equipment I use.

Back in January 2010, I had changed jobs and I knew that my 2010 salmon fishing would be less active. At the same time, friends got back from a fly fishing trip to Cuba. They turned around and started organizing groups for December.

Cool article; I imagine the cost of the trip was fairly reasonable, considering Cuba's economy. No mention of cigars????

Actually the cost was pretty good. We were off season, as the biggest Tarpon are there in the Spring. The outfitter provides everything from 2 nights in Havana, ground transport, skiffs, all the meals (except 2 suppers in Havana). The set price includes 30 drinks on the Tortuga, guides, meals, skiffs, lodging etc.

I suppose it sounds expensive, but depending on the season, group size etc, a Christmas trip costs between 3-3500 usd. Add airfare to Havana, tips etc and it is a pretty good price for 5 star treatment and quality of fishing. Here in Northen Quebec, a run on a fly-in salmon camp can cost 3x that!

I used this outfit because I wasn't sure I'd really like flats fishing (ha!). I wanted to be absolutely certain tha I would get into Bonz ... and I did!

Would I go back to the same outfit, ... I am already planning a future trip! Would I recommend them to friends, probably, ... I would have to make sure I understand what they are looking for. The Tortuga experience is a bit "intensive". If a non-fishing friend/spouse comes along, they may find it isolated (there is snorkeling, diving etc). As with any outfitter, you must really consider what you are looking for, communicate a lot and do a bit of soul searching to make sure everyone comes out ahead.

Tight Lines!
    Christopher Chin

+ Reply to Thread