+ Reply to Thread

Thread: F.M. HALFORD ON FLY RODS - Neil - January 10, 2011

Blog Entries

Default F.M. HALFORD ON FLY RODS - Neil - January 10, 2011

F.M. HALFORD ON FLY RODS

Halford, considered by many to be the Father of Dry Fly Fishing, published a book entitled ?Dry-Fly Fishing in 1889, which is 122 years ago. As I was rereading Halfords classic fly fishing book I was immediately struck by how relevant his information is even today. It was also interesting to note that many of the discussions about two handed versus one handed rods are similar to the discussions that are being made today .
    Last edited by rtidd; 01-10-2011 at 02:21 PM.

When the name Frederick Halford is mentioned, I have mixed thoughts and feelings on the subject. Some claim that Frederick Halford is the "Father of Dry Fly Fishing in the 1890's, when actual transcripts of the show that dry fly fishing and single hand fly rods where used as early as 1850's.

As for the fly patterns in Frederick Halfords many books, those were the work of his friend, George Selwyn Marryat (who refused to take any credit in Frederick Halfords many books.

Today there is still a split camp in fly angling over Dry Flies vs. all other Fly Patterns used....not so much by Frederick Halford by by the fly anglers that took up the cause from his many books that to some made Frederick Halford to be perceived as a snob of those who did not follow his take on fly fishing.

Back then fly fishing was a rich man's pleasure, and they had private streams, with strict rules of conduct and behavior while fly fishing....
    1. finding a fish feeding on winged insects.
    2. presenting to him a good imitation of the natural insect both as to size and colour.
    3. presenting it to him in its natural position, floating and "cocked".
    4. putting it lightly on the water so that it floats accurately over him without drag.
    5. that the four previous points should have been fulfilled before the fish has caught sight of the angler and his rod.
    A person that did not follow Halfords rules was consider not a gentleman, and could lose their fishing privileges on the private waters.....

Information from Andrew N. Herd's site "A Flyfishing History" http://www.flyfishinghistory.com/
    "Everyone you meet in life, give you happiness! Some by their arrival, others by their departure!" ~Parnelli

I'm all for the two handed concept for the fly rod. While most consider this an idea for longer rods my thought is it would be a great add on to the shorter trout rod 6 to 9 feet.

The casting motion is tightened up with the addition of the other hand and lessens the strain on the shoulder joint. The arm doesn't flail all over during the backcast and have to be rerouted to the forward cast but rather keeps the strokes in front of the body promoting the straight line path.

The two hander is the rod kids should be taught on, and also would help those of us without the strength to make the abrupt halt necessary to turn the line over. It's also a snap to cast either right or left handed just by switching position of the hands form top to bottom as most spey casters will know.

Ok, you may have to fore go your double-haul, but in my own case I reserve that maneuver for the parking lot. If he were alive today I'd have to ask Halford just how many fish he's been catching at 26 yards anyway. I think we all know the answer to that.

How hard would a conversion like this be? I would think that you could simply remove the butt cap from the end of a rod and ferrule a 10-12 inch shaft with a short handle up into the blank and viola a two handed trout rod.
    "As far down the river as he could see, the trout were rising, making circles on the surface of the water, as though it were starting to rain."- E.H., The Big Two Hearted River

+ Reply to Thread