I'm all for the two handed concept for the fly rod. While most consider this an idea for longer rods my thought is it would be a great add on to the shorter trout rod 6 to 9 feet.

The casting motion is tightened up with the addition of the other hand and lessens the strain on the shoulder joint. The arm doesn't flail all over during the backcast and have to be rerouted to the forward cast but rather keeps the strokes in front of the body promoting the straight line path.

The two hander is the rod kids should be taught on, and also would help those of us without the strength to make the abrupt halt necessary to turn the line over. It's also a snap to cast either right or left handed just by switching position of the hands form top to bottom as most spey casters will know.

Ok, you may have to fore go your double-haul, but in my own case I reserve that maneuver for the parking lot. If he were alive today I'd have to ask Halford just how many fish he's been catching at 26 yards anyway. I think we all know the answer to that.

How hard would a conversion like this be? I would think that you could simply remove the butt cap from the end of a rod and ferrule a 10-12 inch shaft with a short handle up into the blank and viola a two handed trout rod.