+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Not sure where to put this.

Hybrid View

Default Not sure where to put this.

Not sure where to put this but here will do.
    I am currently cureing a deer skin chunk 2"-12", 3 deer tails 5" 7"and a 9" ,a full squirrel pelt, and a full starling skin.
    I have borax on them how long do i have to wait ti'l i can wash/use them?

Tom

2. Default

Tecnically you can use this stuff right away. There is nothing wrong with the hair on the pieces, what you're doing is allowing the hide to dry nicely and absorb any fat or oil that may seep from the drying hide. Borax or cornmeal is merely a means to remove most of the moisture left in the hide, so your retriever doesn't immediately yank it off your desk and head for the backyard where he can bury it.

A dry hide is also one whose fragrance has been minimized, so you might be allowed to keep it indoors when your spouse finds it drying on your tying table.

TomS,

First off, NEVER use "not sure where to put this" as the title of your thread! Just sayin!! Just tryin to help you out is all! But since you asked, I would say, put it in the garage! LOL!!! Ok, got that out of the way! Now - I would leave the borax on, and continue to put fresh stuff on, until I no longer had any liquid seeping from the skin. That would be the simple answer. Others may have a more in-depth procedure. Just warmin up the crowd to get you some more definitive answers

Best regards, Dave S.

Thank you guys.

I agree with fishdog, Tom... It is best if the hide is completely dry. Let the Borax soak up all of the moisture, then take the skin (bird, squirrel, deer or whatever) outside and beat the heck out of it with a stick to get all of the Borax off of it. OBVIOUSLY you can't do this too hard with a feathered pelt because you'll knock all the feathers off it, but you at least need to shake the dickens out of it. Once the Borax is gone, then put them in ziploc's to keep the bugs out and you'll be fine! Enjoy your new materials.!!!

Welcome to the party TomS,
    I use table salt and rub it in really good in a week I rubub it in again and again until I think the smell wont overpower my smeller.
    When I think it dried all the way I use a wire brush only on the salted side to get any chunks of fat I missed.....and then take it to the air compressor and blow it off on both sides just in case there are ticks, fleas or any unwanted eggs or debris of any kind .....
    Sometimes it will blow alotta loose underfur away.....and that seems to work for me.
    I can't seem ta find the sweet taste of the stream

+ Reply to Thread