+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: St Croix Rod Opinion Needed

Default St Croix Rod Opinion Needed

Hello all. I am new here and hope I am not asking a stupid question but here goes.

The 2011 St Croix rods have a new resin compound and are getting pretty good reviews. My question is - does the new resin compound make enough difference between the 2010 rods and the 2011 to warrant making sure I get a 2011 model or is the difference very small and really noticeable only to a very experienced caster - which I am not?

Thanks for your opinions.

Adrian

Adrian,

First off, welcome to the best fly fishing site on the net. You'll find lots of good folks here willing to help whenever and wherever they can. My opinon of the name brand fly rods of the last 15 years or so is that they generally speaking very good rods. The limiting factor in most peoples casting is not due to the rod, but rather the person's technique or ability. If you can get the 2011 rod for the same price as the 2010, go for it. If on the otherhand, they want more money for the new-and-improved model, I'd go with the older model.

There are many people who seem to feel they need to have the latest and greatest of every new piece of gear that comes out every year. They then often sell off their older equipement at a fraction of the original cost. I personnally think that the best buy in a fly rod is a used name brand model that is perhaps 5-6 years old and has been well cared for. You can get a good Sage for about $150 - $200 that will last you a lifetime and never be the limiting factor in your casting. Most of the new-and-improved retoric is marketing hype to attact people to buy this years rods and reels. Unless you're dead set on a new Redington rod, I'd shop around (even on ebay) for a good used Sage, Scott or Winston rod in the length and wt you want. Just one man's opinion.

Again, welcome aboard and have a great new year.

Jim Smith
    Conyers, GA

I own 3 St. Croix rods. These are all Legand Ultras from about 10 years ago or 3-4 resin "upgrades" ago. They are all fine casting rods. I'm not sure how much of an "experienced caster" I am but I know what I like and I like these rods a-lot.

My understanding is that the new resin from 3M is a significant advancement in rod manufacturing. The most important factor though is the rod action so you need to separate the manufacturing process from the rod design process. Frist make sure the rod action is what you want then decide if the new manufacturing is worth the extra cost.

Other rod manufacturers such a G Loomis and Hardy and Greys are using the new resin for their rods, so the technology is not limited to St. Croix.

You can read about it here and make up your own mind.

http://www.sportfishingmag.com/techn...000085153.html

http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/mediawe...client_id=5312

http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/mediawe...client_id=5312
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Hmmmm....My first "good" rods were St. Croix Pro Graphites, and they would be considered cheapies now. I still have one 7 1/2' Pro Graphite 4wt, and the next step up, a 7 1/2' Imperial 4wt (the old Imperial, not the new one). They are both fine rods, and I'd be happy to fish them for the rest of my life if needed. I have bought much more expensive rods since then, from St. Croix,
    Sage, and Diamondback. The St. Croix rods were always dandy, and included pre-IPC Legends and IPC Legend Ultras, and IPC Avids. No regrets whatsoever. The Avid and higher are made in the USA, and I care about that. The resin used means very little to me, just the way the cast and feel

Just a bit of background to my response. I have 12 rods, 4 of which are StC, and I belong to a casting club so get to try several brands. IMO newer manufacturing methods or ingredients are used to make rods that either lighter for the same action, or stiffer (or both lighter and stiffer). However for most fishing - as opposed to casting - a med. to med-fast action is more enjoyable for me than a fast/stiff rod. And for a less experienced caster a softer/slower rod is a help due to the casters lack of 'touch' and their need to develop good timing in the cast. Slower rods (older technology) are more forgiving of caster error. Re. StC, I would get a 9ft rod in the Legend Ultra model, but would consider an 8.5ft model for an Avid, or lower model. I find them a little tip heavy (although durable) and the softer models bounce a little too much for me in the 9ft version.

Short answer: if you are moving up to this new rod, as opposed to adding to your already full quiver, get the older model and maybe at a discount. Good luck.

Good comments all and thanks.

Here is where I am coming from - I'm in my mid 60's and have been fishing since I was real young. I just started fly fishing about a year ago and it has brought the excitement back like when I was young. I'm sold. I love it.

I have several St Croix casting rods and a St Croix Legend Ultra 6wt fly rod so I am kind of partial to St Croix rods.

I don't really "need" another fly rod right now but I do have a hole where a 5wt would fit nicely.

I know a guy who has a new St Croix Legend Elite 5wt - never used - with the warranty card. It is a 2009 model. He wants about $100 less than a new 2011 model and I am trying to get an idea if the 2011 models are that much better than a 2009.

I* suspect it is not but I was wondering what you much more knowledgable people here might think.

Thanks

Adrian

new vs old is always an interesting dilemma. unfortunately the only way to know is to have each in hand. for me any top of the line rod is more than sufficient if it'll do what i want how i want. also 100 bux makes a big difference for a tight budget and i have no doubt the 2009 rod will serve you very well.
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing than there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh
    I can't say about fly fishing but there's a lot of feed lots in Kansas.
    Wes' Pattern Book
    http://www.flypatternbook.net

Adding more $.02, I would go for it. Since you already have the LU 6wt, the 'old' LE (even in 6wt) should be lighter and faster and so would be a step 'up' from your 6wt, but not much of a set up. In 5wt it will definitely feel different than your 6wt. The new LE might be even more different from your UL 6wt so that you wouldn't feel as comfortable with it. I'd go with the 'old' one to keep the 'family resemblance' of feel.

St. Croix now extends its warranty service to used rods: Avid and higher, and around 2003 and newer models. It's $50 for the service fee, rather than the standard $30. The Legend Elite has a very fast feel, and I'd strongly recommend casting it before buying. More than any other rod I've handled, in fact.

+ Reply to Thread