+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: St Croix Rod Opinion Needed

A medium fast #6 and a faster #5 are going to come close to doing the same things. I would skip down to a #4. I have the same #6 as you, but got a faster Sage XP in the #4. Different tools for different jobs.

You are not going to know whether or not the newer rod is "better" unless you can test cast both rods. I own several St. Croix rods, including an original model Legend Elite 7 weight. I have cast the second generation Legend Elite in the same weight, and I like mine a bit more because it is a slightly softer tip. It is hard to go wrong with St. Croix rods.

The theoretical benefit of rods made with Nano Technology or other similar resins (like Orvis Helios and Hydros Rods) are that they are lighter and supposedly more resistant to breaking than standard graphite. I have cast several Orvis Helios and Hydros rods and they feel very light in hand. That won't make much a difference in trout weight rods, but it could make a difference in heavier weight rods that you use use for other species. Anybody that has spent a few long days casting an eight weight rods knows what I mean. If the Nano technology makes a rod more resistant to breaking when a weighted fly hits the fly rod, that is a benefit. I have decapitated two rod tips that way so a tougher rod has some appeal to me.

I would go with the new one. By the time you transfer warranty it's only 50 bucks difference. The only other way to resolve your dilemma would be to cast both rods at about the same time to see which one you like better. However I also think that if you own 6wt you should look at either 4wt or 3 wt: to my there is not enough difference between 6wt and 5wt. I am StC addict and own quite a few. For fly fishing I have 7wt Avid and 5wt Legend Elite. These two cover all of my fly fishing needs - so far...
    Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. - John Lennon

Thanks everyone. After studying all the comments and giving all this knowledge some serious thought, some of you , and myself, have talked me out of getting the rod. I have a Hydros 4wt and the STC U 6wt so I "really" don't need another rod right now. Perhaps in a year or so after I recover from these rods cost.

Thanks again to everyone.

Adrian

I'm very seriously looking at the St. Croix "Bank Robber" myself. I'm completely happy with the rods I have. Many of them St. Croix or rather St. Croix blanks. I like building my own when I can. I have a hole though...and that's for a good streamer rod...and that new one they have keeps calling me..."Try me! Try me...you know you want me!!" So look for me at the casting pool at the Midwest FF Expo trying one of these puppies out. ...and this time I'll have my charge card on me, just in case.
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing than there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh

"Catch and Release,...like Corrections Canada" ~ Rick Mercer

+ Reply to Thread