Thread: Vancouver & Fraser Valley Fishing with STS Guiding

Threaded View

Thumbs up Vancouver & Fraser Valley Fishing with STS Guiding

Vedder River Steelhead.

Water conditions have been low and clear but with the rain the past couple days we can expect the water to rise slightly. I wouldn?t expect the rain to do too much as the snow level is still quite low so most of this rain will accumulate into snow in the mountains.

So far the steelhead season has been excellent, many fish in the 7 to 10 lb range the odd fish over 12 lbs. A bit smaller than average but way more fish this year. STS Guide Thomas Rutschmann has been hitting the water daily producing fish on almost every outing. Dialing the river in is very important early season as this is what makes the slower weeks more productive.

76915_10150090199798755_614843754_7413363_5795949_n.jpgAs usual, low clear conditions require lighter leaders, smaller baits. If the water does rise and color with the rain, you can up the anti and try some of the larger artificial baits like Pink Rubber Worms, Gooey Bobs and our favorite, Roe Sacks.

Fraser River

The Fraser River is in excellent condition, water clarity is 3 to 4 feet, temperatures are just above freezing. We did see a few ice flows yesterday but they are not large enough to worry most boaters. Just keep your eye out if you plan on boating the Fraser over the next week.

Bridge repairs are underway on the Mission Bridge so please slow it down and proceed with caution. They are currently working on the Mission side of the river but they will be moving over to the Abbotsford side soon.
    11ftsturgeon_102708_big.jpg
    Winter on the Fraser can produce some great Cutthroat fishing if you?re willing to put in the time. Most anglers who winter fish on the Fraser are fly fishing or casting small spinners. For fly fishing I prefer winter stone flys, small minnow patterns or my favorite; pheasant tail nymph with a bead

head. Try fishing some of the back water just off the edge of the main flow, this is where we do our best fishing.

Sturgeon

We have not been out on the water sturgeon fishing since before Christmas. I have not had any reports of fish being caught as most anglers are now focusing on either Steelhead or Winter Chinook fishing out of Vancouver Harbour. I would expect that there are a few fish out there as like every winter but for the most part sturgeon fishing will play second fiddle to steelhead and salmon.
    Like 2010 we will begin our 2011 sturgeon season fishing the Mission area during the spring Ulichon migration. This is when these small smelts return from the ocean to spawn in the lower Fraser. The fish are not as large as we see in the summer/fall but the action is steady with many 10 to 20 fish days.
    Pic - http://www.guidebc.com/images/p1000489_073010_800w.jpg

If you?re wanting to fish for larger trophy sturgeon during late spring/ early summer, our sturgeon camp is the place to be. Our new Yurt camp is located near Lillooet, BC, 3 hours drive from Vancouver, 2 hours from Whistler, BC. This region is warm, dry and offers spectacular scenery and fishing.

41657_510673670_7735_n.jpgSTS has teamed up with Fraser Canyon Lodging to offer what we believe is the most spectacular sturgeon fishing adventure available anywhere in Canada or United States. When I first visited the Yurt Camp in 2010 I was a bit skeptical, I always believed that lower/mid Fraser was the only place that offered great sturgeon fishing, Wow was I wrong!

After spending 3 days fishing a region seldom fished by anyone I could not wipe the smile off my face. I never saw another boat and spend most of the 3 days chasing fish down the river. I would safely say it was some of the best fishing I have ever experienced. Want to join Vic & Tom for 4 days of incredible sturgeon fishing?

Camp Dates are set for peak fishing period.

July 8-11
    July 11-14
    August 5-8
    August 8 -11

Maximum of 12 guests per date, to see cost and Itinerary, please see link

http://www.guidebc.com/accommodations/accomm_sturgeonwildernesscamp.asp

http://www.guidebc.com/images/p1000482_080210_400w.jpg

During the summer months sturgeon fishing can be very good in the Chilliwack/Mission region. The salmon are now migrating up the Fraser at full speed and the sturgeon are following along for a feed. Once the salmon season is in full swing, so is the sturgeon fishing, typically this will take place in early to mid August when the sockeye salmon are migrating up the Fraser River.

If your wanting to fish for salmon and sturgeon in the same day or multi-day trip, August through to November is best. 2011 is a Pink year so fishing will be very good for large sturgeon from early September through to until end of October.

Pic - http://www.guidebc.com/images/p1000676_112610_400w.jpg

Whether you are looking to spend a day or a week, family vacation or take your best client or a corporate retreat with 5 star accommodations and service, STS Guiding is the leader in sport fishing on the Fraser. Our quality fishing adventures are second to none, not sure, see what our many guests had to say http://www.guidebc.com/testimonials.asp

Vancouver Saltwater Salmon fishing

Winter Salmon fishing has been fair to excellent the past week. Good numbers of Chinook are being caught in Vancouver Harbour with a fair number of keeper size Chinook. Finding the biat fish is the key, find the bait and you will hook fish. Hoochies, Spoons and bait fish have all been producing fish, trolling near the bottom has worked well. Our new 265 Express is geeting rigged and almost ready to hit the water, If your looking to get out and catch some salmon, February is a great month.

Want to win a 6 hour Saltwater Guide Trip with STS? Just send us an e-mail with ?enter me to win? We will post the winner on our new website www.fishingvancouver.com on Jan 15.
    To celebrate the Jan 15 launching of www.fishingvancouver.com we will be giving away a Saltwater Fishing ROD & REEL combo valued at over $250. To enter just visit www.fishingvancouver.com on Jan 15, and find the link, ?enter free draw? we will draw the winner at 5pm on Jan 15.

Join our team of 8 professional guides for the 2011 season and see why STS is considered #1 in the valley.
    To Book Your next guided adventure, call us Toll Free 1-866-771-3474

Remember to conserve your catch
    Tight Lines and we will see you on the water
    Vic Carrao
    www.guidebc.com
    sts@guidebc.com