Thread: Guide

Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by The Chronicler View Post
    Most of the better fly shops and outfitters would rather train their own guides so that they meet the standard set by the individual shop or outfitting service. Having lived in the heart of trout country, Montana, for many years and having worked as a fly fishing guide for a few years I can tell you that a guiding school is no substitute for actual experience, and those that employ quality guides insist upon it.
    If someone is considering going to a guide school they really need to understand the curriculum of the school and how it may benefit them. The programs of each of the references provided in this thread are substantially different. A potential student needs to really understand the focus of a particular school. The info on the web page for one has the following statement : "drift boats are the most common form of fly fish guiding in the lower 48". While I doubt this to be true considering all the types of fishing venues in the lower 48 states, this just might be the place someone who wants/needs to guide from a drift boat might consider. One school's curriculum includes managing pack animals, another drift boats, one includes coverage of business aspects, some include first aid, only one mentioned learning about clients learning style. I only saw one where prerequisite skills were listed. The schools can be a valuable part of the developing or learning skills by shortening the curve that might help build the experience needed to get a job as a guide.

All of the guide schools I have seen are trout and stream oriented and of less value to someone looking to guide for other species and environs.
    Last edited by tailingloop; 01-07-2011 at 03:57 PM.