Hey,

I just wanted to tip the hat to all the folks who commented on my thread from waaay back about fly fishing vehicles. You may/may not remember, but I asked what everyone's best fly fishing vehicle ever was or something to that effect. A lot of folks posted up accounts, descriptions, reasons why, and photos. It went on for several pages. The reason I posted it was because our Mitsubishi Montero was beginning to show its age with about 230k miles at the time, and I knew it was just a matter of time until it had to be replaced. And at 230k miles and a lot of new innovations in the automotive industry since I last did a lot of research, I figured I would turn to the biggest on-line collection of traveled fly anglers on the planet for vicarious knowledge - some pointers as to where to begin my research in preparation for the impending doom of having to buy a new car/truck.

Well, at just over 250k miles it finally happened. Monty the Montero had plenty of "quirks." You know the stuff I'm talking about: all the little things that don't work anymore or don't work right that some days make you laugh and other days make you crazy. The stuff that gives an old truck "character." But none of it was mechanical, operational equipment, or safety issues. But you could tell it was coming. On the way back from Dallas after the Holidays the hood latch gave out on the Interstate at highway speed. It wasn't pretty! So Monty...like an old franchise quarterback...got traded for a younger up-and-comer on Monday. When all was said and done, that Montero LS 4x4 cost us 6 cents per mile to own!

But the advice and guidance we got from here on FAOL led us to a beautiful and highly capable 2007 Ford Edge SEL w/factory class 2 hitch and 6-pin harness. 21-27 mpg, 285 hp, 3500 lbs towing capacity, fwd w/traction control system. And it is loaded with comfort and performance options. Heck, it even has one of those DVD players in the back seat that we'll never use! I got the hitch installed at no charge due to some wheelin-and-dealin'. Also got brand new tires at no charge and $1000 off the sticker, which was $1,000 below KBB and Edmunds. That allowed us to put a 3 year unlimited mileage bumper-to-bumper factory warranty and gap coverage on it for $1500. It has 50k miles on it.

We got the right vehicle for our needs and were led to the Edge as a result of the thread here on FAOL. So I wanted to say thanks to everyone who participated in that discussion. It was very interesting, and turned out to be incredibly helpful.