+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: New Camera 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Jesse View Post
    I don't mean to hijack Spinner's thread but I have a related question. I am looking at getting a new camera for me, using some work as an excuse. I found a 8.1 MP waterproof Polaroid with the features I know how to use (on-off switch; autofocus, etc.,). How many pixels do you need. A printer friend told me years ago 3.0 megapixels was print quality, now everything is 12 or 15 MP. I had a HP that used a 3.5 floppy with a combo of about 15X optical and digital zoom that made great photos. Do I really need more than 8 MP?
    No, you don't really need more than 8 MP. I think my cameras take 10MP and 12MP, respectively...but since I end up resizing them for the computer anyway, I actually just set my cameras to take 5MP pictures. The file sizes are a bit smaller that way, so I can store more on the SD card before having to download them. This is usually only a concern if I go on a vacation for a week and can't download the pictures for awhile.

The cool thing about high res cameras, though, is that if you take a picture at the full resolution, and the object of interest is some distance away (say, an eagle flying or a bear on the opposite side of a river), you can crop the picture down pretty small and still have a very good quality image.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Len, I received the new Pentax Optio W90 for Christmas - 12.1 megapixels. Boy was I surprised. Fantastic camera so far. Takes wonderful close-ups of flies. Can't wait to get on the water with it. I appreciate your issues with no lens cap, etc. For the past four years I've been using a 7.1 megapixel Olympus that was not waterproof. I had some close calls but was able to protect it. As for scratched lenses, I never had a problem. I bought a soft case at WalMart that had a Velcro attachment that allowed me to affix it to my wader suspenders, with the strap also around my neck. The camera was always at the ready and safe from accidental dropping in the drink. The 7.1 took some pretty good pictures, so I'm really excited to get out with the new camera and see how it performs in the field.

Kelly.
    Last edited by kglissmeyer; 01-13-2011 at 05:58 PM.
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

Default pixels and resolution

Check this out to see the difference what more pixels can bring you.
    It was taken with a 17 Gigapixel camera.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Cv7IdXKgtM
    FFF Life Member #22

Thank you for the link, That was very educational for me,I now know that my 12 pix are more than enough to satisfy my needs or wants, cause I'm not into photography I'm in to being there up close...
    "Because by the Grace of God I can, be on a beautiful mountain stream with a friend , have the water boil from a 12" Native Brookie taking a self tyed dry,and feel it on the end of my cane... It don't get no better than that..."

Im really a fan of the Nikon Coolpix. The newer models have HUGE screens, and are very easy to operate. Easily fits in a vest pocket. And cost is a third of what the wife has allowed. I dont see a downside to this.

Jordan

Cold Guest

Quote Originally Posted by dryfly2010 View Post
    . I dont see a downside to this.

Jordan
    Not waterproof for one.

Nikon has outstanding image quality, though. Just be careful out on the water with it.

I still don't understand why not waterproof? I take dozens of underwater photos each year and never have to worry about the camera. I've used it to video fish in a pool to watch how they act when flies pass by. it's indispensable.

+ Reply to Thread