+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ice-Fishing..."lures"

Hybrid View

Default Ice-Fishing..."lures"

For the most part, anything I tie for open-water fly-fishing I can call a "fly"...even if its a frog pattern. That's already pushing the limit much to far for some, of course. But for Ice-fishing, for some reason it bothers me to call it a fly, because I'm not fly-fishing with it. I could in warmer weather, I suppose, but I'm not. I'm simply vertically jigging these below the ice with a 28" ice-fishing rod. So, it seems appropriate to me to term these ice-fishing "lures", rather than "flies".

To each their own on the whole nomenclature issue. I know a number of other folks here that live in the northern part of the US and Canada ice-fish, so I wanted to share these. I hope nobody minds stretching the limit of this fly-tying forum to such extreme limits?

I tied up some of these "lures" for ice-fishing. I haven't tried them all yet. The ones with the rubber bodies, I HAVE tried, and they worked EXTREMELY well for bluegills and crappies and bass. So well, in fact, that I didn't even tip them with the customary waxworm or maggot. It seems the fish like chewing on that soft stretchy rubber so much that they hold onto it longer, and start swimming off with it, making strike detection easier.
    The bottom two have slim strips of Chamois for the tail. I think the movement and texture will make these good ice-fishing lures, too....but the fish will have the final say.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

I tie something almost identical to that for ice fishing and actually seel a good handfull of them every year, speaking of wich I should probably get a handful tied for the season as the ice is building well just norht of us.

Steve

FishnDave,

Haven't ice fished since around 1980! Those would have been killers for yellow perch on Lake Champlain, in upstate New York! Were beadheads even around back then? I can't remember! LOL!!! BTW, streamer flies are often referred to as lures.

Best regards, Dave S.
    Last edited by fishdog54; 12-31-2010 at 05:32 AM. Reason: additional thought - aren't you lucky! LOL!

Dave,
    The line between fly-fishing and other means is gray at best. Many fishermen in the Rockies fish flies with spinning outfits and bubbles. Or they'll fish a fly rod with a spinning outfit and weighted nymphs. So I don't fret about what's a 'fly' or not. Did you tie it? Then it's a fly. How it gets used, maybe ear-rings, doesn't change what it is.
    I tie a lot of 'flies' for fishermen other than flyfishers. These are castable with spinning outfits or trollable with conventional gear. They are still hand-tied, so they would qualify as flies, although they mimick fish. But that doesn't stop people from calling streamers 'streamer-flies'.

These are my largest examples so far of 'flies' NOT meant for a fly-rod, but for trolling for marlin off Cabo. (double 12/0 & 17/0 Deceiver patterns)
    DSC00009.jpg
    DSC00002.jpg

DSC00014.jpg

Dave,
    I don't ice-fish, but I'd like to try some flies out for ice-fishing. Would you want to give them a try for me? They are jigs like yours, but 1-step ice-dub patterns.
    Send me your address if you want to give some a shot.

Dave, those will definitely work! It looks like we might actually get enough ice to get out on it this weekend. The gills were biting a firetiger jig (Custom Jigs and Spins size 12 Diamond Jig) for me this morning. It's a color combo I don't use a whole lot... going to play with it some more in my jig and fly tying and see if the fish really like it around here.
    My favorite cold water colors are white, pink, and blue at the moment...
    The Green Hornet strikes again!!!

Bass_Bug Guest

Dave,
    If you describe some of those flies, and the steps to tie them omitting the specific colors, many fly tyers would assume you're tying a nymph of some kind. Like you said, when fishing through a hole in the ice, you're jigging. That's just a specific fishing action. But when done with a fly rod people call it nymphing. It's all a matter of semantics. For what it's worth, all flies are lures by definition, but not lures are flies.

I've never Ice fished, but since I got into rod building I've wanted to build an Ice rod. For nothing else than they are relative cheap to make.

Hi Dave,

What is that rubbery material that you used on the top two? They look like they would work, and you mention that you have done well with them.

Regards,

Gandolf

I thnk you're the one who turned me on to the Rose Creek Ice Jig box for toting my flies around, so I guess it sorta stands to reason that there might be something that could be misconstrued as an ice jig or two in there as well . . . ?

You COULD practice your casting AND call it fly fishing:
    1) Go out and drill a hole in the ice,
    2) Go back to shore,
    3) Cast to the hole!

Sorry, it's already been a LONG WINTER here in central NY!!

+ Reply to Thread