+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ice-Fishing..."lures"

Hidehunter,

IF that rod has sliding bands to hold the reel in place, then it IS already a fly rod. All you got to do is put the fly reel on it back by the butt of the grip.

Try it. It's loads of fun. (but you may want to wear different headgear, maybe something that protects your ears for the fist few tries...)

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

Hi Dave,

One more question. What hook and size do you use for these? Is it a standard nymph hook, or a 2X long or what?

Thanks and regards,

Gandolf

Gandolf,
    #10 TMC 100 hook is what I believe I used for most of these. A standard #10 nymph hook of your choice should work fine, as would a 2XL hook since you can cut the rubber leg to whatever length you need to cover the shank below the bead. 3XL will catch fish too, but probably is longer than it needs to be.

Small is good when ice-fishing. I stopped using split shot to help sink lighter ice-lures and try to use adequate weight built into the lure, because too many fish would pay attention to the little split shot instead of the lure!
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Yeah, I know. But the last time I went icefishing I caught a 50 lb. block and two 5 lb. bags. I used catch and release on the 2 bags of cubes! I released the cubes.
    Last edited by WWKimba; 01-06-2011 at 12:12 PM.

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the information. I am wanting to get the materials, have a go at tying them, and then taking them fishing next spring.

Thanks much again for the help.

Thanks and regards,

Gandold

The techniques and materials used on 'ice fishing lures" can be adapted to our fly tying also. Here are some 'ice jigs' I tied up for a friend using only pheasant on a 1/16 oz lead-head #10 jig hook.

Tail - various feathers from back of pheasant
    Body - pheasant tail fibers
    Wing - various pheasant feathers
    Hackle - after-shaft feather

I think I may have to tie some up for fly fishin!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by iaflyfisher; 01-06-2011 at 08:01 PM.
    iaflyfisher

Those DO look good, Dale! Nice!
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

Ice jig? I use those for bluegill and crappie all year long.

I've only been ice-fishing once.

I used to drink a little when I was younger, and once, when I was playing a gig in Bemidgi (?), Minnesota, some guys talked me into going ice fishing when I left the bar. I was a little hammered, but they loaned me the correct gear (rod, line, lures and ice-auger to make a hole in the ice with). It was around 3:00AM, and very dark. I found a suitable place on the ice and began to dig the hole, when a loud voice from the darkness startled me. " THERE ARE NO FISH HERE...."
    I looked all around and didn't see anyone, so I just assumed it was my imagination, and I started digging again. The voice returned, from all directions, like over a loud PA system," I SAID THERE ARE NO FISH HERE..." Now I was really scared. In a small voice, I asked " Are you God? Are you trying to warn me of danger?.." The voice answered," NO. I AM THE OWNER OF THIS HOCKEY RINK, AND I AM IN THE CONTROL BOOTH...."

Seriously, the only time I went Ice-Fishing, all I caught was 100 pounds of ice cubes. My sister tried to fry them and almost drowned us.

+ Reply to Thread