+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Seal dubbing

Hybrid View

Bass_Bug Guest

Default Seal dubbing

I was watching a tying video on the internet and the recipe called for seal dubbing. The tyer said he was actually using real seal that he got when he purchased a Russian military surplus hat made with seal lining.

This sounds plausible because 1.) I doubt there were any Soviets protesting the harvesting of seals without fear of free room and board at the Gulag. 2.) since the collapse of the USSR, there is all kinds of Russian surplus available and 3.) there are hats made from nearly every other kind of real fur (rabbit, beaver, fox, mink, muskrat etc.) so why not seal?

My question is, even if one could buy Eastern European military surplus with furs not readily available in the U.S. is it legal to do so, and would you?

After Googling around on this topic, it does seem like a viable source for seal, but at a steep price. However the amount of seal in one hat would likely last several dozen tyers a lifetime.

Before you scoff at 2 or 3 hundred bucks for a fur hat, consider that buying deer hair in the 3x4 patches at the fly shop makes the entire deer skin cost well over $500 on the conservative side.

If you are really cost conscious for deer hair and bucktail you can take up deer hunting and you will get FREE hair and bucktails, not to mention all of the healthy meat. Can't help you with the seal fur however unless you want to move to Alaska and take up seal hunting.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

I don't know about the legality of buying and importing military surplus furs into the US, but I wouldn't do it myself, personally. Unless you know exactly the type of seal fur you are getting, it could be different from what you want for tying flies. I believe there are cheaper and better sources of seal fur available for tying flies.

About 20 years ago, I found a seal coat for $10 in a garage sale here in south Louisiana by a grad student at LSU who was originally from New York. I coolly placed thee coat on a pile of other "stuff" my bride was purchasing, and ! went on looking for more stuff. When I came to purchase "my coat", I saw the grad student going up the stairs with MY coat! I asked my bride what was going on and she said that i didn't "need that old coat" and it had belonged to the grad student's deceased mother. So, my bride convinced the young lady to keep the coat!

After several more years of looking for a seal coat, I found one in an antique clothing store, again for $10! This time I purchased the coat, which was beautiful but needed re-sewing. When my bride and I got it back to the house, I placed the coat on the bed. My bride then saw how beautiful the coat was and decided to "try it on". Well, it was a perfect fit! SO, my mother offered to have it re-sewn for my bride!!!!!

In case you're wondering, I'm still looking for a seal coat... If I ever find another one, I'll take a razor blade to it before it ever gets to the car!!

Bowfin47

Quote Originally Posted by bowfin47 View Post
    In case you're wondering, I'm still looking for a seal coat... If I ever find another one, I'll take a razor blade to it before it ever gets to the car!!

Bowfin47

Lots of seal fur coats for sale all the time. Here's a seal fur coat for sale that's in mint condition, with mink fur around the cuffs. I bet that mink fur could be dyed in a multitude of colors and would produce a zillion killer nymphs.

I have purchased seal from cookskill's several times, no problem I have also purchased it from http://www.pechetruite.com. They have the best I have found. I also bought some from a fellow in Washington state and on ebay and from Canada. Not all seal is the same. if it comes from a coat it will usually be sheared which will make it stiff and very little long guard hair. That is the same for polar bear. Good PB has very long guard hair and very thick under fur. If you take a hair rake PB makes some great dubbing and the guard hair makes great wings.

Buggie-One
    I don't think I'd ever consider purchasing a hat with the thoughts of tying from it. I don't want to have to worry what kind of "life" it led before coming to my house! <eeewwww> Or what kind of "life" it would bring with it! <double eeeewwwww!!>

I prefer to purchase real seal from Feather Craft, all clean, nicely dyed, neatly assorted in little bags, suitable for my tying cabinet (where you gunna keep a hat, or two??).

Am I losing my adventure???!!!!
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

My understanding is that as long as the source was inside the U.S. as of the ban, and you can prove it, then you are legal (i.e. same rule as polar bear). Being able to prove it, has always been an issue, but old seal fur jackets has been a source of seal in the US for some time now. I cannot imagine that importing a seal product today would be legal, however.

+ Reply to Thread