Hi, all.

I am the proud owner of a 14-foot aluminum bass boat (Montgomery Wards, ca. 1970) and a full-sized station wagon (Chevrolet Caprice Classic, 1996?350 c.i.d. engine, frame construction, RWD, last of the road-going dinosaurs) and would like to one day soon own one or more canoes.

The boat is light enough for car-topping...my dad used to carry it on canoe racks on his work van.

My wife uses the car as a more-or-less daily driver, and would prefer not to have a dedicated set of canoe racks bolted to her ride.

In light of these facts, I would like to find a way to tote the boat or canoe(s) with some sort of rack or block system that doesn?t stay on the car when it?s not in use. I have considered getting a receiver hitch mounted on the station wagon, then pulling the vessels on a modified light trailer of some sort.

The upside of the trailer is that it could double as boat storage when not in use. The downside is that it will cost to buy or build, and must be registered and tagged.

Have any of the good folks here faced this problem, and if so, how have you solved it?

Thanks,

FlyDrawer

"Some people fish with flies, some people tie them...some people draw them."