+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tying tools

Default Tying tools

I teach a class every year for a youth group in town (keeps them out of trouble) and over the course of a move this summer, I seem to have lost a good chunk of stuff for the class. I have plenty of materials to supply the class, found the vises but.... I need a few pairs of scissors, bobbins, threaders, hackle pliers and the like. I'll gladly pay a fair price for whatever you may have, just trying to keep the cost below what a fly shop would run. Thanks!

Blog Entries

Just a thought, but do you have a fly shop nearby that might be willing to "sponsor" the class? Maybe they would give you a good discount on those tools and you could promote that shop during the class which would benefit you, the kids, and the fly shop if some of the kids did decide to take up fly tying or even just go there for materials.
    Not sure how realistic that is but fly fishers/tiers seem to me to be quite a generous bunch.

Karli-Rae
    Imagination is more important than knowledge.

flywatersmallie,

I know exactly where you are on needing the tying tools. When I was asked by the local college to teach a beginner's fly tying class, it was the most fun I ever had. I was asked to supply everything from materials to tools. I limited the class size to 6 students only so that I could provide one-on-one instructions. The tools can get expensive and most people do not know that. I figure that each student needs at least a pair of scissors, a dubbing loop tool, a thread bobbin holder, a bodkin, hackle pliers and a whipfinisher and if you figure just $4.50 each, which sounds cheap, that ends up being about $30 per student and when the instructor has to furnish it all, it gets expensive.

I searched through my inventory of odds and ends and have come up with the following:

3 Bobbin holders
    2 pair of scissors
    2 English hackle pliers
    2 dubbing loop tools
    1 Bodkin

For bobbin threaders, I purchased a pack of dental floss threaders and put one with each kit I made up.

I will continue to look through my stuff and see what else I can come up with. All that I have found so far, is yours at no charge. Just passing it on to help the "kids". Just PM me your mailing address and I will mail these tools out to you.
    Last edited by WarrenP; 12-28-2010 at 02:04 AM. Reason: Brain F**t
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Maine, Now I've retired to North Carolina (just south of Fayetteville)

HOORAAHHHH Warren. Very generous of you. I'm trying to get some things also (everyone gone on vacation it seems)

flywatersmallie,

I am still waiting for a mailing address to send the tying tools to you if you still need them. I noticed that you were on line here when I posted my post, but, no response from you as of yet. If you have what you need, that is good, if not, and you need what I have gathered together, send me a PM with a mailing address.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Sorry about that Warren, PM coming your way. FAOL was up on my computer and I walked away. Thank you! You are too kind!

Flywatersmallie,

Are you member of the Federation of Fly Fishers?

http://www.fedflyfishers.org/

If not why not join and start an FFF club ( I started one in my home town) or a "FFF Youth Club". The Federation at the National, Council, and Club levels has tools, books, tapes, tying materials, instructors, and a wealth of other instructional assistance that they loan to FFF clubs and individuals to asist in endeavors such as yours!

The Federation has done more to promote fly tying,casting, and fly fishing in general than any other organization.

I should know I've been a member since '84a and have been tying at Conclaves and EXPO's since '87. IMHO -It IS the organization to which all tyers should gladly join and support!

There are at least four FFF Clubs in Wisconsin:

Winnebago Streamers Fly Fishing Club
    Fond du Lac, Wisconsin
    gsmet42@charter.net
    gsmet42@charter.net

Classic Anglers of Wisconsin
    Green Bay, Wisconsin
    caw-fff.blogspot.com/
    ezehouston@aol.com

Milwaukee Lake & Stream FF
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin
    www.mlsff.org
    flyeeguy@wi.rr.com

Badger Fly Fishers
    Madison, Wisconsin
    www.badgerflyfishers.org
    bafernho@pastaff.wisc.edu

Check out the club nearest to you!

Tight lines,

Bowfin47

PS

You've got a lot of great tyers in Wisconsin who are Federation members. I know, 'cuz I've tyed-with and admired a number of these people for many years!
    Last edited by bowfin47; 12-28-2010 at 06:36 PM.

flywatersmallie,

The tools are on their way.
    Warren

The stuff I bought this spring to resell has been pretty well picked over but I have three doctor slick scissors and one anvil scissors with four Indian made bobbin holders. I can send you the works for thirty dollars. For hackle pliers go to radio shack and buy a package of test clips. They are cheap and work great.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

+ Reply to Thread