+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Lightening Strike Hooks

Question Lightening Strike Hooks

I have been tying now for two years and have mostly used Mustad hooks. Recently, I saw Lightening Strike hooks advertised on a website as being a good hook for the money. Does anyone here have any experience with these hooks? Would you recommend them? I would appreciate any pros or cons. Thanks.

Bass_Bug Guest

I think they're made (or at least marketed) by Wapsi. I use the kinlk shank hooks that used to be labeled "Perfect Popper" hooks (These were by Wapsi), but now they seem to be in the "Lightening Strike" packaging (same parts numbers). For Salt Water Kink Shank hooks they are very inexpensive.

I have been using the "Lightening Strike" hooks for about a year now and I really like them.
    Popperfly>-<(((((*>
    Born to Fish...Forced to Work !

I recieved some in a thank you gift from Wapsi after tying at an FFF event. I must admit they were really good hooks. I have bought and used many since then.
    Fred

They are a Waspi product. here is a link to the conversion chart: http://www.wapsifly.com/lshookcompchart.html

I used them to tie up some flies this fall but have yet to fish them. After I tied every fly I hit them with a stone for sharpening but was not bothered doing that.
    Thanks Old Man GO IRISH!

I just got the conversion chart, thanks for the link. Thanks to everyone for the feedback. I appreciate your help.
    Last edited by owlman; 12-21-2010 at 02:41 AM.

Since my local fly shop does not carry Mustad but does carry Lightening Strike hooks, they are all I have been using for quite some time and have no complaints with them.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Lake Erie High Ball View Post
    I used them to tie up some flies this fall but have yet to fish them. After I tied every fly I hit them with a stone for sharpening but was not bothered doing that.
    Is this your regular routine with any hook brand or just the Lightening Strike?
    Last edited by TyroneFly; 12-22-2010 at 10:29 PM.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

TyroneFly

It is my first pack of hooks of Lightenning Strike and I would have to say its unique to this brand. I always check for sharpness. A few may not have needed it but I did run a stone over them anyhow. After doing it the hook was very sharp (thumb nail test) and again wasn't bothered using the stone.

I have had some Mustad that needed touching up. But again not botherd by it.

I guess to answer your question I always check any hook I tie up at the vise; then again when I get on the river for fishing.

Sean
    Thanks Old Man GO IRISH!

+ Reply to Thread