+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Secret Spots? Yes or No?

Hybrid View

Default Secret Spots? Yes or No?

Secret spots?

Do you tell other people where you fish?

Last month I did a little story for our local fishing paper about a stream here in Kaneohe that I flyfish. Talked about the tiny 4 to 5 inch tropical fish that I catch there.

Today I visited the stream and found 6 people... They were using shrimp for bait and had two 5 gallon buckets loaded with a variety of fish. They had driven from the other side of the island... this was not their first trip since reading the story. They had moved to the stretch of water I was fishing because the bridge a 1/2 mile up stream was already "fished out". This is the 3rd group of people I've met on the stream that were there because of the HFN story. Everyone catching... and keeping. (Catch and release is not practiced by very many people in Hawaii. It's an Asian thing)

When doing TV fishing shows I always tried to make the point that it isn't the location that you fish, its the technique. Try using the technique we've shown today where you fish. You don't have to fish where we fished.
    One time, we showed a beach park where we were fishing. The next weekend you couldn't find a parking space at that park within a 1/4 mile.

Hawaii fishermen would invite us and our TV cameras to their "secret spots" only if we promised to not show anyone where it was. I don't blame them.

After eating shrimp, the fish ignored my flys. So I moved 100 yards away from the easy access and began catching. (I'm glad a 5 gallon bucket full of fish is not easy to carry)

So the question is... should we share with other anglers where to fish, or keep our "secret spots" a well guarded secret?

Blog Entries

I will tell other fly fishers, but not others. I'll even tell them what flies worked for me. I send bait fishers to that stretch with all the snags on the bottom.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

I tell my fly fishing friends where I fish, but only if they keep it to themselves. Once they let someone else know about the spots they are on my "Don't Tell" list.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

Normand Guest

there are no secret spots!

If you want solitude or as close as you can come, you are a fool to tell anyone regardless of what you call your spot.

Oaths of secrecy are as good as the people entrusted with them which in my case means my secrets stay with me. I have told a few friends about a spot or two and later found out their ambition in life appears to be telling the online world how great a fisherman they are. As a result they get nothing from me anymore. I have a hard time understanding why burning a specific spot on the Internet or other media does anything good except stroke someones ego.

Let them figure it out for themselves or LIE! They will be better fishermen for it.

Putting easy to access tiny creeks in a story, particularly amidst a culture that doesn't value catch and release, is simply stupid in my opinion. Honestly, what did you expect? It's one thing to tell a buddy, another to tell the world.

I admit to lurking on Chicago-oriented fishing boards looking for tips. Guy writes, "I don't know why, but I've never seen anybody else fishing here at such and such creek in such and such park...."

He will next week.
    Last edited by Steven; 12-16-2010 at 11:43 AM.

I love those pics, Bamboozle. I may borrow those for posting on our local Central Iowa Anglers message boards. ;o)

I try to know my audience before deciding what information to share. Are they conservation-minded? Are they local?
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

I think it all boils down to:

"I promised I would not repeat this, so, you have to listen closely"
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

For a long while I thought I was being a responsible and friendly fly angler by sharing my spots, and was dumb enough to think my on-line posts would not make a difference, but I was wrong, way wrong and some of my favorites have paid the price over the years. Now I list them as new or old favorites and leave it at that. Now, if it's a pretty popular water, then I'm with Normand - there are no 'secret' spots.

Secret Spots? Yes or No?

NO.

Kelly.
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

I "HAD" a spot on So. Fork of Bishop Creek I thought of as mine. I stumbled upon it quite by accident, having to break brush and crawling over and under deadfall to get to it. I caught a 5 1/4 lb Alper trout and several smaller holdovers there my first visit. I shared it with my buddy who only fishes with me, then my grandsons. Later that year I told a friend who was a Judge how to find it. That was about 13 years ago. Now when I go to it the trail is still hard to find but the bank and brush is pretty well worn from folks being there. I have never seen any other people there, but can sure tell they have been from the empty cans and bottles, worm cartons and other trash I pack out. Next time I find a spot I will keep it to myself.
    I'm either going to, coming from or thinking about fishing. Jim

+ Reply to Thread