+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Brown trout color differences

Default Brown trout color differences

Thought some of you might want to see color differences in brown trout. The first is what is more typical for where I fish(Arkansas) and the second is not quite as plentiful although I do seem to catch a lot of them in smaller sizes in that color.Had to put the lower fish on a rock to get him to settle down enough to take a pic(for those that may frown on such )

Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

I think I would have called the second one a brook trout.

top one from the White? Bottom from the Little Red?...I recall catching allot like the bottom one when I frequented the Little Red...its been ten years though. Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by ducksterman View Post
    I think I would have called the second one a brook trout.
    Brook: http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/News...ut_brood_b.jpg Orange on the bottom. Kinda "tiger" on top.

I used to do the same but was shown where I was wrong. Actually I went to show a fella that guides on the Little Red the pic of it to show him what a big brookie I caught and was informed it was a brown. Then it was just an average brown
    Actually this was the reason behind this post......to see how many(like I) thought they were really brooks.

White/Little Red? Both from the same pool in the Little Red. Back-to-back catches actually. Back-to-back casts too
    Last edited by Big Bad Wulff; 12-13-2010 at 05:07 PM.

Big Bad Wulff,
    When were those caught? The Little Red is my home water but grandfathering duties have kept me tied up for the last few weeks. I hope to get up soon; I sure miss the water.
    Grandado

2 days ago . "It's" almost over...

From my readings there are quite a variety of genetic strains of Brown Trout in North America and some are very close in proximity but very difference in colouration. What you probably are experiencing is two completely different gene pools. As browns have been planted from many European Stocks..

Some beautiful fish though

Big Bad Wulff,

The first fish really has some "shoulders" on it, and all those red dots on the adipose fin are really neat! Brown trout are the only salmonids with red on their adipose fins. Loch Leven browns did not have red spots on them till after 4 or 5 yrs. Loch Leven browns had access to the sea and could grow quite large. German browns were generally much smaller. All this is moot, because both were eventually put in the same waters here in N.America. Brook trout do not have black spots - fin edging all wrong - vermiculations missing on back etc. etc. If you want to fool me, just send me west with all the different cutts and bows! LOL!!! It's certainly possible for those two browns to have stronger influence from the German than the Leven. Just my 2 pence worth! If you want to have fun, try catching and identifying browns and landlock salmon in the same waters. The first landlock I ever caught, I thought was a biiiig brown trout!

Best regards, Dave S.

I really like this topic as it greatly intrigues me. We fish a local spring creek that is full of brown trout of a large spectrum of colors and markings that really adds to this topic. Some look like Tiger trout hybrids, but there aren't any brook trout present in the watershed to allow that to happen.

Anyway, here are a few shots of the diversity of brown trout from the same water which is only about 3/4's of a mile in total length.

Lew's beast - no black spots, only red one's:

Strange, but true...

Kelly.
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

+ Reply to Thread