+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Waterproof P&S Digital Cameras -- your input appreciated

Question Waterproof P&S Digital Cameras -- your input appreciated

I would like to know if anyone has had experiences with pocket-sized digital cameras that are waterproof (so if I take a tumble in the stream it won't die on me). I guess they're called "point-and-shoot" (P&S) cameras. I'm looking for a well built one, with a very good lens, that can be equally used to take good pictures of landscapes or, up close, of a fly.

I'm not the kind of person who can spend $500 for a point-and-shoot, but neither do I want a poor quality camera, as I am the kind of person who will keep it as long as it works, for many years.

A couple of years ago someone recommended a Pentax Optio, but things seem to change quickly in electronics, so I thought I'd ask for your advice. Thank you.

Normand Guest

i would still recommend pentax optio cameras. i dont think theyve changed for the worse

take a look at other brands other than pentax and olympus. theres some new players in the waterproof camera market

canon

sony

vivitar

fuji

sealife

polaroid

panasonic
    Last edited by Normand; 12-13-2010 at 09:56 AM.

Cold Guest

I use a Pentax WS80 for my waterproof needs. I've been pleased with it, although its important to note the limitations of any P&S.

If you're definitely going waterproof, Pentax, Olympus, and Panasonic are the big names.

nighthawk Guest

My top picks from left to right. you should be happy with any one of these. I prefer Pentax but that is just me.:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare_post.asp

You may find this utility to be of use in helping you to decide:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sidebyside.asp

http://www.dpreview.com/

Be certain to check ebay, amazon, adorama, cameta camera, for new demos withe the factory warranty. Also new cameras should qualify for an extended warranty from square trade:

http://www.squaretrade.com/pages/

My personal experience with Squaretrade has been excellent.

drpeview shows that the Pentax products do not have shake reduction. That is not true. Here is the info from the Pentax web site:

W90 http://www.pentaximaging.com/digital...stachio_Green/
    Last edited by nighthawk; 12-13-2010 at 12:46 PM.

Lightbulb Tough choice ...

... these days. I'm sure that a number of the makes listed by Normand would offer a good waterproof camera.

But Olympus and Pentax pretty much lead the way, and Olympus was first with the shockproof and freezeproof features. Having said that, Pentax has caught up with Olympus offering the same features, with some variation in the specs, particularly in the depth for waterproof and the drop distance for shockproof. Don't know if the other makes suggested by Normand can compete on that level.

I've used an Olympus 850SW for over two and a half years. I've been very pleased with it in all regards. Olympus has moved on from that version, and has several newer models, some of which may produce better images and / or be easier to use. How easy a particular camera is for you to use is certainly a factor in which make you choose.

Before I got the Olympus, I checked out the Pentax Optio, back when it was an Optio10 or Optio 30. No question that Pentax makes a great camera, but for me, the functions were not as intuitive and that older model didn't have the shockproof / freezeproof features that were important to me.

If you want to see what an older Olympus will do, got back on the Fishing Reports Forum and find the continuing fishing report threads I put up from early '08 through mid '10. There are probably 1500 plus pix taken with the Olympus 850SW posted in those threads, from long range scenery shots to arms length fish pix to macros of flies, both naturals and tied.

As much as I like the Olympus, I will say that if I were looking for a new camera today, I would seriously consider the current Pentax waterproof / shockproof / freezeproof model. More than anything, that is a tribute to BB members mgliss and kglissmeyer. The pix they get with their Pentax are really good. Good enough for a really brand loyal person like me to consider making a change when the time comes to get a new camera.

If you want to see what a Pentax will do, go to the Fishing Reports Forum and look up kglissmeyer's "Dad and the Kid" continuing fishing reports threads for '09 and '10. I'm pretty sure that all the pix there were taken with a Pentax, whether taken by Kelly or Mike.

John
    The fish are always right.

nighthawk Guest

Darned tough to beat this price:

$189.00 new

http://www.buydig.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=PKOPTW90GN

They go used for over $200!
    Last edited by nighthawk; 12-13-2010 at 07:02 PM.

Normand Guest

Western Portal Sequoia National Forest & the G.T.W., Kern River, CA.

Another satisfied Pentax Optio W80 user here. It's controls were fairly intuitive and for a waterproof camera it has very good macro quality. Mine has taken a few pretty hard shots to the case and it hasn't malfunctioned " Yet ".
    If you can hold off on your purchase until the model year ends, often you can save a small bundle.

Dave

Cold Guest

In addition to the dpreview links that nighthawk posted, they actually did a waterproof camera group test: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Q209waterproofgroup/

It's a little dated now, but it was very thorough and will give you plenty to consider.

As JohnScott said, the handling of the camera is very important. In contrast to him, I tried both the Pentax and Oly P&S and the Pentax just seemed to really suit me. Now that I've been using it for a year, I've got it set up to suit my needs and changing settings is like second nature.

Cold Guest

Forgot...here's a few example shots from my Pentax WS80:

A little bit of everything there...DoF, landscape, macro...

+ Reply to Thread