+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help planning a trip to Washington or Oregon

This is such a great place to live. I've got the Deschutes literally running through my back yard. Yes, there are so many options if you want to take the Coastal route or stay more inland??? From Bend you can fish more than five rivers and countless lakes within less than an hour drive if your going the hotel route. If camping there are WAY too many options all stream side. Don't forget the legendary Metolius River just to entice you to Central O even more. The N. Umpqua and Rouge are less than a half a days drive and you have the Cascade Range less than twenty minuets out of Bend if you want to take a hike up South Sister or play on Mt. Bachelor and explore the high lakes like Hosmer or Devil's Lake. Fortunately my lady loves to fish as much as I do, but when she doesn't want to there are lots of hikes, bike rides, wild life viewing, and just about anything the missus may enjoy doing.

If you stay in or near Bend, you have the Fall and Metolius Rivers - think oversized spring creeks because that's what they are, especially the Metolius - along with the Deschutes (upper, middle and lower) and the Crooked. The salmonfly hatch should be going on the lower Deschutes, and if it's not strong then there are almost always BWOs and PMD/PED/caddis around to keep the fish looking up.

Personally I'd spend all 7 days on the Metolius. I've been smitten with that river for a long, long time.

So we decided on a place right outside of LaPine state park. We are on the Deschutes river and a half block from 4 different entrances to the state park, also, fall river is a 15 minute walk away...I can't wait to get there...Although the middle of July is a long ways away.

Make sure you bring alot of mosquito repellent!!! I should be around when you are in town and if you'd like to meet up let me know. I usually take my fishing trip in the beginning of July. I can show you some of my favorite spots up there. Don't know if you like lake fishing? (I don't) but if you have a boat of some sort that's a good place to be. LaPine isn't the best little town but Sun River is near and Bend is only 25 mi away. Let me know when when the time gets closer so I can "Pay it forward" as Z did for me on the Yakima last year. I'm always willing to help those around my area.

Cheers
    -Jake

thanks Luckie88 I will let you know! We wanted to be out of town, a little secluded.... It should be fun...we are both new to trout fishing so it should be interesting!!

+ Reply to Thread