+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What are you going to tie for Spring?

Hybrid View

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Default What are you going to tie for Spring?

Hi Warmwater Friends,

As winter becomes an indisputable reality across much of the country and fishing becomes less and less likely as ice replaces water, it's time to settle into the old tying bench with a warming beverage. Soooo, what are you going to tie for spring? I'm going to start with a bunch of Cricket Nymphs as featured in Winter 2010 Fly Tyer magazine on page 20. With a natural squirrel or hare's ear dubbing, black eyes and long rubber legs, it's one of the buggiest flies I've ever seen. It looks like a great brim and bass fly. I hope to find a few other flies that inspire me as well. Then I will start on my legions of Gurgle Pops with which I will catch fish after fish after fish until I am exhausted. How about you? What are you tying? 8T
    Last edited by Eight Thumbs; 12-12-2010 at 02:35 AM.

Micro minnows. I'm tying them clouser style on Owner mosquito hooks in sizes 8-12. They're only about 3/4" long total and the early crappies and bluegills ought to go nuts for them.
    If it swims and eats, it'll eat a fly.

My standard woolly worms, foam spiders, red butt epoxy ants, gurglers, & woolly buggers. I also plan to tie up a bunch of foam stealth bombers & klinkhamers. Wish me luck, the Klinkhamers will be a challenge (at least for me!).
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

I think I'll tie up some Flashback Copper Johns on a size 10 scud hook. I might even throw in some rubber legs if I can figure out how.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Black leeches on size 10 2x hooks for bream and size 2 hooks for LM bass These are my absolute go-to flies for late winter early spring. In fact, they work pretty much all year round. Also, plenty of Carter's Sculpins in Grizzly and black for bream when they're a bit deeper and in bright colors of white with purple, red or chartruese tails for crappie. Once the water warms up a bit I switch to polar fiber minnow patterns for bass, usually olive over chartruese over white and cap spiders for the bream along weed lines or overhanging brush.

Jim Smith

Been tying a boatload of crappie jigs lately. Before spring, I'd like to learn and tie a bunch of EP-style minnows. I saw those bluegill crickets in Fly Tyer and plan to try a few of those as well. I'm sure a bunch of floss and tinsel wets will happen at some point, too...

Zac
    The Green Hornet strikes again!!!

+ Reply to Thread