+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My wifes rod.

Blog Entries

Make her hunt for it. A nice card with a clue to find the next clue to find another clue, each one having a small fishing item nicely wrapped with the clue to the next one. Run her upstairs and down, inside and out. To the car and backyard. A dozen clues is about right. She will never forget it and her eyes will sparkle every time she talks about it and the story will be told many times about what you did. Yes, she will probably have it figured out before she finishes finding everything, but you will not be giving just a fly rod. You will be giving fun as well as heightened anticipation!
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

Very nice looking build. I am sure she will be pleased.

I like the rose box idea. But I wonder if you got a mop head or a broom head the wrapped it to look like a mop or a broom if that would work or put it in the mop and broom closet and spill some salt or sugar and she finds it.

Dave if you use Kevin’s idea you could get a shotgun in under the wire.
    Thanks Old Man GO IRISH!

Those are some great suggestions. I think if I just put it in a tube she'll have no idea what it is. I'm getting her a reel too, so maybe I'll give her the reel first (she already has a really cheap 5wt that she doesn't like). I'm thinking she'll think it's for her current rod and have no idea what's coming next.
    I do like Kevin's idea though...might have to put some thought into that one.

TT.

Thunderthumbs,

We need an update here! What clever plan did you settle on. You coulda hid it in the Christmas tree! Just thought of that one! LOL!! Merry Christmas & Happy New Year to you & yours!!

Best wishes, Dave S.

An update you will get...

I put it in a long triangular shaped box with 2 boxes of shotgun shells in the bottom for a little extra weight. I packed paper on top of the shells to keep them from rattling, then put the rod in, and a little paper on top of the rod to keep it from rattling too. I almost laughed myself silly when she picked it up to 'see with her hands.' She wanted to know if it was a, "friggin weeble-wobble?" It was really bottom heavy, so it did a good job of putting her off.
    She completely guessed her other present right off the bloody bat; a reel spooled with line for the rod, but she thought it was for the rod she already has. I'm glad I put those shells in, or she might have guessed the rod too.
    The little tears in her eyes told me I'd done well.

Thanks for everyone's help...can't wait to get out and give it a try.

TT.

Bass_Bug Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderthumbs View Post
    I put it in a long triangular shaped box with 2 boxes of shotgun shells in the bottom for a little extra weight...

I've heard of 'loading the rod' but THAT takes it to a whole new level! Nicely done!

TT,

Glad she liked the rod! However, she's not turning the house inside out looking for the shotgun to go with those two boxes of shells, is she???? I would be! LOL!!!!!!! Merry Christmas!

Best regards, Dave S.

Lol, no, she's not really a shooter...which is good. Although, she has said that she'd like to try some target shooting...don't know about that...I've seen what's happened with all my fly gear, I mean "our" fly gear, lol.

TT.

+ Reply to Thread