Thread: Before I remember when

Threaded View

Default Before I remember when

This came to me in an email. I did not check it out for details, it's a great story and harmless if not true. This was from back when I was a gleam in my Dad's eye but I loved the old musicals from that period. The video is great, for you youngster, the people in Hollywood cared about the USA, Once upon a time, as the fairy tale goes.

Here is a little history lesson! A REAL STAR

In early 1940, Kate Smith, a fiercely patriotic American, and the biggest star on radio, was deeply worried about her country.

She asked Irving Berlin if he could give her a song that would reignite the spirit of American patriotism and faith. He said he had a song that he had written in 1917, but never used it. He said she could have it.

She sat at the piano & played it and realized how good it was. She called Mr. Berlin and told him that she couldn't take this from him for nothing. So, they agreed that any money that would be made off the song would be donated to the Boy Scouts of America.

Thanks to Kate Smith and Irving Berlin, the Scouts have received millions of dollars in royalties.

This clip is from the movie "You're in the Army Now". You will see a familiar face in this-one that we are all very proud of.

Frank Sinatra said that when Kate Smith, whom he considered the greatest singer of his age, first sang this song on the radio (there was no TV), a million guys got 'dust' in their eyes and had to wipe the tears the 'dust' caused.

Sit back and enjoy a Real Star.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnQDW-NMaRs
    Last edited by Uncle Jesse; 12-09-2010 at 04:58 PM.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!