+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Arkansas Missouri ideas

Default Arkansas Missouri ideas

Hey fella's seems I have more questions than advice but I'm learning or at least I think I'm learning something. I have goten my little brother into flyfishing and have created a monster! it's awesome as we have spent more time the last year than most of our lives out doing something both of really enjoy and that is casting flies. He lives in Eufaula, Ok and I in Okc, Ok which I'm in Eufaula most every weekend and we fish the lower Illinois River but have since been looking for something different. We came thru Branson on our way back from the turkey day festivities and got to looking at the area and thought it might be a nice weekend trip but they have been generating pretty heavy from what we hear, stopped in at McLellan's flyshop in Fayetteville, Ar bad move on my part as I left $400 in the shop but it was a good thing

Long story short where would you fella's in that area suggest to go to try and get some of those Browns? we wade so with the release schedule there in Branson I'm kinda ruling that out and I'm not real familiar with the areas in that part of the world. Any recommendations would be awesome! in advance thanks fella's, Later,

Kirk

Alot of the fish you saw on the McC site were caught below Beaver Dam. It takes alot of time searching and stalking to get a big guy. Best bet is dawn or dusk. The White River has quite a few browns as well as the Norfork. Both are able to be waded pretty easily. Hope that helps a little.
    Arkansas State Coordinator for Reel Recovery
    Board Member of Fly Fishing Federation Southern Council

Thank you sir! that helps a bunch. Are these places pretty crowded this time of the year? Later,

Kirk

Depends entirely on the weather and generation levels. You can check them here http://www.swpa.gov/generationschedules.aspx and get a VAGUE idea of what they are doing. Subject to change without notice. Usually right after you've hooked the first fish of the day. Or while your are rigging up...Or right as you get out of your vehicle and start to put your waders on...Well, you get the point!
    "They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it. What happens is that you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore." - John Gierach

White River below Bull Shoals dam. There is a very nice State Park there on the river and They did have campers for rent. So if you got caught up in the releases you can sit there and watch the water go by. You can also rent a boat if not there just down river of the park and fish from it.

Big browns on the Lil Red during the spawn on Cow Shoals is a local favorite. Over production of the browns naturally on this river means this ish't the tradegy that it seems. Ozark Angler is a local shop in Heber Springs with local timely info.

Cool fella's thanks for the info. Later,

Kirk

Blog Entries

Ksmirk,
    Isn't the Lake Tenkiller tailwater a pretty decent place for trout?

Ed

Yes sir we normally tear them up when we go down but ya know every now and then something different is kinda nice, it's 3 hours to the Lower Mountain Fork and truth we have a better chance of larger fish if we go NE of where we are. I think something happened several years ago cause I had caught a few nice browns from the Lower Illinois in the 20" range then it was like a light turned off and have not caught one there in I know 3 years.

Just be nice to have a change and see some more of momma natures handi work make sense? Later,

Kirk

Headed up to the Little Red this weekend.
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

+ Reply to Thread