+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: This day in history (nff)

I too wonder why the server dose not go into overload in support of our troops on such an important date as today...

yes I know this is a hobby site and we all know why it exists, because of our Veterans and Active troops, never forget!

With a River of Thanks to Our Troops

A Spectacular Moment Relived

I had the honor to camp with a very special Fly-fisherman, Aviator and Friend, Major Frank Garcia

The Major and I traveled through Yosemite National Park sharing stories of fishing and flying.

One fond memory the Major relayed to me I have coined as the
    Yosemite Freedom Flight,

With Victory In Hand
    This remarkable tale took place shortly after the end of WW2,
    from what he told me of that time, back then, as a young Captain his spirits were as high as his plane!

It was 1947 in Yosemite National Park, where and when Captain Frank Garcia flew his P51 Mustang
    in front of the Glacier point hotel.
    I listened as he relived his proud hotel flyby and spoke of the tourists he saw raising their cameras as he
    streaked by at 450MPH!

The Majors Air Force career spans 25-years with many memories, some sounding heroic to me, though he
    was very modest as he spoke of them.

It was my privilege to have spent this time in Yosemite, the Majors memorable stories will
    now be shared at camp...

Back then as a Young USAir Force Captain

The Major today

------1947 Yosemite Freedom Flight------
    ---------Major Frank Garcia, Pilot
    ----------United States Air Force, Retired

"The Veteran pilots of WW2 are indeed some of our finest and shall forever be remembered
    with Honor for their service in defense of the Freedoms we enjoy today"
    Relaxed and now a Full Time Trout Bum, Est. 2024

My folks came to visit me in Hawaii. My father, a WWII vet, was a quite fellow who seldom showed much emotion. When I took them to the Punchbowl tears came to his eyes. That I will not forget.

Tim

Moose,
    No offense taken, for sure. I recognized the irony of your post. I know where you're coming from and acknowledge your comparison to today's lack of historical knowledge in so many Americans. I never intended to spark a repertoire of historical angst. Today is an important day in history. As a matter of fact, I used to tell people that April 20th was not only the opening day of lowland lake fishing in Washington, but it was also Hitler's birthday. Many comparisons are crazy at best. Let us honor our Vets and save their memory to a special place.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Thanks Joe, but if there's any blame, i'll take it. I know your post wasn't meant to spark anything and i knew that your response wasn't one borne of being offended, rather reminded and when i responded to you with 'looks like i have', thanking you in fact, i knew you'd know i was just trying to set up a remembrance thread and there it is.

MontanaMoose

and a darn fine thread this turned out to be!
    Relaxed and now a Full Time Trout Bum, Est. 2024

I thank you for this thread. I worked 10 hours today (hence my late post) & was personally appalled that many of my co-workers had no idea what I was speaking of when I mentioned December 7, 1941. I was not born until 1946, but the patriotism born into me was largely a result of that tragic day. The positive side of that day is that it bonded a Nation & created a common RESOLVE in Americans that has not since been equaled.
    I have only flown through Hawaii on the way to Vietnam, but one day I do hope to return with time to visit Pearl Harbor.
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

George (AKA Montana Moose) I feel remiss in not posting this morning. I was going to and something came up and I turned off the computer and left. I believe the most solemn moment of my life was when I stood at the Arizona Memorial and read "The Wall". The only other times I felt that way was when I visited the Oklahoma City Federal Building Memorial, and when I stood at the Vietnam Memorial Wall. Thanks for posting George. Jim
    I'm either going to, coming from or thinking about fishing. Jim

I spent yesterday morning watching interviews of WWII vets and women that were called to work to help support our troops. (Cleveland during WWI had a tank plant that is now know as the IX Center)

As the interviews played and they told their stories I watched their body language and eyes and sat transfixed.

I am always amazed and sit in rapt attention by their experiences. And become ashamed for my generations interpretation of patriotism and wonder if any generation could ever rise to their standards and values.
    Thanks Old Man GO IRISH!

nighthawk Guest

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaMoose View Post
    Well, i apologise to any that i've offended or that miscontrued my intent. My intent was to bring attention to the fact that by 1237PM EST, no one here had made mention of this date in 1941. I went to bed last night not having seen or heard any mention of same, woke up and watched the news....still no word. Finally this evening, a slight mention.

Thanks to those that took exception to my method as well as those that spoke on my behalf, bringing even more attention to this day. That said, my post accomplished what i wanted it to without actually coming out and saying something stupid like...'don't forget that today in 1941 the (PIC name) bombed Pearl Harbor'. We already know that. I've been to the memorial at Pearl. If you haven't, i hope you go there someday.
    Honestly I saw your post and did not respond to it because I felt it to be insulting. Like bobbyg I too am very sensitive to making light of such things. It is one thing you will never hear or see me do no matter what the reason but to each his own. I did put this post in "Sound Off":

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/s...1-Pearl-Harbor

All of that is okay but if you really do care about memorializing December 7, 1941 then you should not think it stupid for people to remind others of the significance of the day. It is obvious by other responses to this thread that some of us have indeed run across people who, for whatever reason, don't know that on December 7, 1941 the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor.

+ Reply to Thread