+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rods,rods,rods all pretty darn good and Winston adds four more

Hybrid View

Default Rods,rods,rods all pretty darn good and Winston adds four more

this year. Sage is probably right behind them. I look at all the rods that have been discontinued and would be happy to fish with most of them. I know, I know the new rods are lighter, they are thinner, they have built in alarm clocks, sonar,AK 47s and only cost about 7 to 800 bucks but I am taking a stand and will just fish my Sage LL#3 on the creek, and my im6 #4 Winston on the Henry's Fork, my GLX #6 Loomy on the Madison and a very nice Scott for the Clear Water. This isn't a rant, and I have no complaints, I know the great rod companys are just trying to keep their people employed and stay afloat and, in fact, are making great rods, it's just that I find so many of the older rods are still pretty darn fabulous.

I'm most interested in the Sage VXP, but haven't had the chance to cast one yet.

Quote Originally Posted by chewydog View Post
    I'm most interested in the Sage VXP, but haven't had the chance to cast one yet.
    I bought one for Steelies - 10' 7 wt. Absolutely love it.
    ~Lost Time is Never Found Again~

I can't wait 'till we move out west and I can use my Sage 690-2 RPL again on the Madison. Haven't taken that long tube on a plane since the late 90's.

Regards,
    Scott

I've whittled my quiver down to just 3 rods.
    1. A 7 1/2 foot, 4 piece, 5 weight that I built on a Batson RX-7 blank. It casts a WF4F like a dream also.
    2. An 8 1/2 foot, 4 piece, 5 weight Ross Essence FW that my daughter gave me. I looks and casts beautifully.
    3. An 8 1/2 foot, 4 piece, 6 weight LL Bean model Double LL. It casts the way I like and is good for larger trout & bass.
    Now don't get me wrong. Several years ago at the Idaho Fish-In, JC gave me the opportunity to cast a Sage Z-Axis. What a wonderful stick. I've never cast as far, with as much accuracy or with as tight a loop. Given the opportunity, I'd have one in a 9 foot, 4 piece, 6 weight in a heartbeat. But, $700 is over the top for me. I probably wouldn't even have $200 rods if they weren't given to me or I built them or I traded for them. This isn't a rant of any kind, but every time I look at a nice rod for sale, I realize I have a 4 weight, 5 weight & a 6 weight, all of which I really like.
    Last edited by Lotech; 12-08-2010 at 07:41 PM.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

This is a nice thread to read and it is true these company's make very fine rods, but , Ideepcreek, I'm waitng for the one that will get up and cook me breakfast and have it waiting for me when I get up, now that will be a built in feature I think I would invest in...
    "Because by the Grace of God I can, be on a beautiful mountain stream with a friend , have the water boil from a 12" Native Brookie taking a self tyed dry,and feel it on the end of my cane... It don't get no better than that..."

Western Portal Sequoia National Forest & the G.T.W., Kern River, CA.

I'm in the market again for another 9' - 4 pc. - 5 wt. and have cast upwards of two dozen current models at our local shops. When our guys get them in, I'll be making another stop by the shop to cast Winton's new GVX.

I just hope this ones got a tip section.

Dave

Here, here

My priorities haven't changed that I will go out and afford a state of the art rod; this will change one day for sure.

I agree with deepcreek, yesterday's best will do me just fine till I can catch up. I love a great deal on a great rod.

I look at it like this; I am a steward of fly fishing history a living time capsule of what was best yesterday. But one day.
    Thanks Old Man GO IRISH!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave E View Post
    I'm in the market again for another 9' - 4 pc. - 5 wt. and have cast upwards of two dozen current models at our local shops. When our guys get them in, I'll be making another stop by the shop to cast Winton's new GVX.

I just hope this ones got a tip section.

Dave
    Make sure you try the Loomis NXR! Make sure you do.

Grubb.

I have one of thoes that I hitched into about 50 years ago. But mine came with RED HAIR.

Crunchy

+ Reply to Thread