+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stripping guide placement

Hybrid View

Default Stripping guide placement

What is the standard distance from the base of of the reel seat to the first stripping guide. I'm building a 9ft four piece rod for my wife and the guide comes out right at the junction of the first ferrule. Should I go above the ferrule, or below it?

Thanks, TT.

There's no real standard as to exactly the distance from the butt. The measurements are usually taken from the tip of the rod and the distance from the reel to the first stripper can be played with a bit to accommodate the persons arm length that the rod is being built for. Short arms (kids) I move the stripper closer to the seat/grip. But normally the first stripper will end up right around 30-32" from the butt of the rod most times. If the stripper is falling right at the junction of the ferrule then move it forward up onto the female ferule. It is always better to put a guide directly on a ferrule rather than a inch or two behind one.

Steve

Blog Entries

TT,

Double check your measurements. Most 4pc 9' rods I have built have the stripper coming out about 3-4" above the first ferrule. That is about 78" from the tip or, as Steve says, 30" or so from the butt. Where did you come up with the guide spacing?

To truly custom fit this rod to your wife, have her hold the rod with the rod holding hand at her hip with the rod straight out. Then have her reach across with the other hand to the rod and out to where she can reach on the rod comfortably, as if she was going to strip line in. That is where the stripper goes. I would almost bet money that is somewhere right close to Steve's number and above the first joint.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

Thanks guys,

I moved the guide up to the first female ferrule. It's a surprise for her, so I won't be able to measure it with her holding it, but it should work with the guide on the female ferrule.
    I got my guide spacing from the rodbuildingtutorial website that one of you sent me a link to in an earlier post. The ferrule is right at the 30 inch mark, so I moved it up about an inch.

Thanks so much,
    TT.

That should work pretty good for her TT. Unless she's got really short arms/reach I think you should be okay with 31".

Steve

Just doing some quick math, if the first ferrule is at 30" and it is a 4 piece rod, would that not make it 120" rod(4x30") or a 10' rod. Is the base section longer than the rest? If it is a 9' rod measure back 78" from the tip and see where that lands just to check placement. Most 4 piece rods are a little over 28" so that when seated are close to being 27" at the center of the joining ferrule. When you installed the reel seat and cork, how far past the butt of the rod did you set the back part of the reel seat?

Bass_Bug Guest

This Is likely the math behind the 'calculator'.

The following formula came from Art Scheck's book: Fly Rod Building Made Easy, and is how Art calculates the guides spacing for any length rod with any given number of guides for a custom fit to the rod owner. This formula insures that starting at the first guide; each guide is exponentially further apart. If you remember basic algebra it's simple.

D = TG + (TG + X) + (TG + 2X) + (TG + 3X) + (TG + 4X) + (TG + 5X) + (TG + 5X) + (TG + 6X) + (TG + 7X) + (TG + 8X) + (TG + 9X)

The following is the work up of guide spacing I came up with for a 9' 4 piece rod. Reach is the distance from the butt of the rod to the first stripping guide. A 30" reach is comfortable to me but if you have longer or shorter arms adjust this number to suit. 28" to 32" is the general range for most people. The reasoning is, if you drop the line (while stripping it back in) and it's hanging from the first stripper guide, you have to "Reach" for it. This is assuming the rod butt is still against your waist, or directly in front you. If you pull the rod back to your side to bring the hanging line to you, well that"s a topic in itself. You'll need to consider a fighting butt if applicable as this can possibly add inches to the total length of the rod, thus affecting the reach by that much.

Example: 9' 4pc rod with 10 guides (plus tip top)

Guide1 = G1, Guide2 = G2, etc.
    Rod Length (L) = 109" (my 9 foot blank was actually 109")
    Reach (R) = 30"
    Distance (tip top to stripper guide) (D) = (L-R) 79"
    Guides (G) = 10
    Tip to G1 (TG) = 4.5"
    -TG is an arbitrary number usually between 3 and 5 inches. Shorter (7') rods might look better with a 3" or 3.5" starting point and a 9' or 10' rod might be better with a 4" or 5" starting point. Reduce the number on a longer rod if you want an extra guide. Adjust this number +/- if a guide falls on a ferrule, then start over. An inch difference at Guide-1 can mean several inches at the second stripper (or next to the last guide toward the butt end).

Lets plug in the number:
    TG x G = 45

D = 4.5 + (4.5 + X) + (4.5 + 2X) + (4.5 + 3X) + (4.5 + 4X) + (4.5 + 5X) + (4.5 + 6X) + (4.5 + 7X) + (4.5 + 8X) + (4.5 + 9X)

Basic Algebra, just "do the math"
    D = (4.5 * 10) + (45X)
    D = 45 + 45X
    79 = 45 + 45X
    79 - 45 = (45 - 45) + 45X
    34 = 45X
    (34 / 45) X
    X = .755
    Round to Convert to
    Nearest 1/8" fraction
    G1 = TG = 4.5 4.5 4 1/2
    G2 = TG + X = 9.75 9.75 9 3/4
    G3 = TG + G2 + 2X = 15.76 15.75 15 3/4
    G4 = TG + G3 + 3X = 22.52 22.5 22 1/2
    G5 = TG + G4 + 4X = 30.04 30 30
    G6 = TG + G5 + 5X = 38.31 38.375 38 3/4
    G7 = TG + G6 + 6X = 47.34 47.375 47 3/4
    G8 = TG + G7 + 7X = 57.12 57.125 57 1/8
    G9 = TG + G8 + 8X = 67.66 67.625 67 5/8
    G10 = TG + G9 + 9X = 78.95 79 79

Thanks for all the help. After installing the reel seat, the first stripping guide is exactly 28" from the butt of the rod. I think this will be perfect for her, as she's a bit shorter than I am.
    I really appreciate everyone's input. I'll get some pics up as soon as the second coat of flex coat dries.

TT.

Blog Entries

You do realize that you are giving her a tool with which she can whip you into shape?
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

Bass_Bug Guest

Quote Originally Posted by kbproctor View Post
    You do realize that you are giving her a tool with which she can whip you into shape?
    Kevin, Kevin, Kevin...By the time a fly angler gets to building his or her own rods (let alone building rods as gifts) we are all WAY beyond that even being remotely possible.

+ Reply to Thread