+ Reply to Thread

Thread: NYMPHING - THE BASIC CONCEPTS - EOTG - December 6, 2010

Blog Entries

Default NYMPHING - THE BASIC CONCEPTS - EOTG - December 6, 2010

NYMPHING - THE BASIC CONCEPTS

Many anglers feel that nymphing is too difficult for them. This is most unfortunate as trout spend 90% of their time feeding on nymphal forms. For those who decide to master the techniques of nymphing they find this style of fishing exciting and very rewarding. The nymph fisher is a very diverse angler who must learn how to fish from the bottom of the stream all the way to the surface film.

Default well done

good coverage of the basics.

Blog Entries

Excellent article on Nymphing. Sometimes I spend as much as 75% of my time on the rivers of Washington and Montana nymphing rather than dry flying. If the fish are not active on the surface you can just about guarantee they are actively seeking nymphs.

I would like to point out that if a person decides to really get into nymphing then a longer rod can be a great help. I fish with 11 foot rods, many fish with 10 foot rods. You would be amazed as to how much help it is to fish with the longer rod. The reach cast is far more effective to start the mending process when casting upstream. When you go to mend your line as it sits on the water, just a flick of the wrist causes a big mend whereas with a 9 foot rod you have to make the mend using your whole arm. There are times when you may need to have your flies 10 to 12 feet below your strike indicator and that longer rod really helps out, especially when bringing in your fish.

I run into people on the rivers who won't nymph, they only fish dry flies. That is their choice but they may cast all day long just for one or two fish, if any. If they would try nymphing, then they would most likely be catching many fish all day long.

Give it a try. You will like it.

Larry ---sagefisher---

I realy liked how everything was summed up in such a short read. There is so much on the net about every aspect of nymphing it could get you to never go on the water. The thing I like to read the most and discuss the most are the 'FLIES' used in your type nymphing. Technique is different in every fly fishermans vest. If you have a 10 or 12' rod, are you going to use the same flies as me with a 9' rod. I have crammed so much of this in my head and this is what has come out. I make my own leaders to do pretty much what this article said. the lies, the flies, the water, are you czech nymphing, are you just nymphing are you confused???
    too many posts on a subject that is clearly undefined as to what it really means. This was a really good article that could lead you to catching fish as long as you didn't venture into the world of OZ (aka internet). Kudos for summing up a tough subject......heck kudos for even taking it on.

+ Reply to Thread