+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2006 Smokies Fish-In

Default 2006 Smokies Fish-In

Hi All!

Spring is fast approaching, and it's time to get the discussion going again about the 2006 Smokies Fish-In.

I've discussed a tentative schedule and venue with the 2005 attendees, and it looks as if the following would be a good starting point for the thread:

Headquarters: Tumbling Waters Campground, @ 6 miles west of Bryson City, NC.
    Meet at 0800 on Saturday, May 6, and fish the Nantahala DH section. Campfire follows supper in Bryson City.
    Sunday, May 7: hike 6 miles (very easy hike) above the falls and fish Big Snowbird Creek for native brookies.
    Monday, May 8: Drive to the east end of GSMNP and fish Cataloochie Cove.
    Tuesday, May 9: Float/wade the DH section of the Tuckaseegee River. Cookout and Campfire in the evening.
    Wednesday, May 10: Hike 1 mile down Big Fat Gap Trail to fish for wild brown trout in Slickrock Creek. NOTE: I, along with anyone else who desires, will remain to camp along Slickrock until Saturday. The rest only fish for the day and will hike back up the trail in the evening.
    Thursday, May 11: Free day - looking for someone to organize an event.
    Friday, May 12: Bryan Trantham will lead whomever remains to fish the DH section of the Little Pigeon River near Waynesville.
    Saturday, May 13: Hike out o f Slickrock Creek and Closing Campfire.

The above is just a suggestion as to some possible things to do for this year's Fish-In. Anyone with ideas or suggestions should speak up, and if it can be done, we will do it.

Hope this sparks a discussion!

TL,

Dave Cassens

Dave;

Starting the 11th there will be a gathering of bamboo fishers in Townsend. We will headquarter at Little River Outfitters and fish the GSMNP area. The headquarters hotel is the Highland Manor Inn, and some of us are camping in Ye Olde Mill Campground down the road towards the park.

We plan on general BS sessions and a swap meet of sorts with general gear and cane rods. Lots of opportunity to cast cane, and a real bonus!!! Joe Humphries will be at LRO that weekend.

We'd love to see some of your folks and see if we can't tempt a few over to the dark side.

Ralph Shuey
    czkid at knology dot net

Ralph - sounds like a great finish to our planned week - I'll probably head over that way after we hike out of Slickrock on Saturday.

See you then,

Dave Cassens

Don't fall on that "Slick rock", especially if it's like the rocks in Abram's Cr.

R.

How many folks are you dragging into Slickrock?

--Rich

Rich - we'll be camping near the foot of the Big Fat Gap trail, and there is fishable water for 4 miles upstream (the main stem and three fishable tributaries)and for @ 6 miles down stream from there - I expect that amount of water could reasonably handle 10 - 12 people, but I doubt that we'll get even half that number.

The resident fish in Slickrock are WILD brown trout, carried into the stream in wicker baskets by the CCC in the 'thirties. These fish are a precious resource, and even though catch'nkeep is allow by the NC regs, I encourage everyone I come in contact with to practice catch 'n release. Just my opinion, however.

I've fished far enough upstream, above a couple of small waterfalls, and have caught native brook trout as well.

Hope to see you there.

Dave

Hi Dave!
    Sorry I missed this post while I was out of town. Been keeping up with water levels on the Tuckaseegee and anything below 700 cfs is wadable on most all of the DH section. Nantahala Power is only running the East Fork at this time, although that will change as the weather warms.
    Cataloochee and the DH on the West Fork of the Pigeon are both fishing well, with Cataloochee a couple of weeks behind some of the other streams.
    Looking forward to the Fish-In. I should be able to fish Nantahala on Saturday, Cataloochee on Monday and the Pigeon on Friday for sure.
    Looking forward to meeting new people to put with familiar names and "handles"!
    Bryan

+ Reply to Thread