Reading all these posts and now it's Dec 1st. The canoe put away and all the gear stowed. Last year was my first year of getting out of the waders (somewhat) and livin in my canoe! Halfway thru summer I even bought a marine battery for my rig. Oh sorry, this is NE Ohio i'm reffering to so you know where i'm coming from. I've never fished for crappie like I did this past summer...parkin the canoe in a hold where I was sure to catch something. but being a sucky fly fisherman/ace canoeist I had a great year. I was able to rig my boat to fish on the fly only. It may be great to have a 100 ponds where you can throw a canoe in and catch 75 crappie, but the real world puts us in public waters where we have to seek solace and find holds.
My canoe is built for days on the water...I can't afford to hit a new farmers pond every day. But I find lakes, get into the thicket and fish crappie. I love it....I bought a fish finder and use it mainly to fish in 3' of water in a cove where its useless. I've waded all the rivers in Ohio for steelhead but my fly skills have never been tested as much as close short cast fishing on the fly for crappie/gills.
Fly fishing from a canoe is an art...a skill...a thrill...........Once you spent a season dedicated to the canoe/crappie/strictly fly/life......it's great.....I can't wait for spring....in the mean time....I'm huntin browns on the MAD in southern OH...wearin waders....but lovin it