+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: fly tying book

Hybrid View

Default fly tying book

if you can only buy one fly tying book for fly patterns for trout that would it be

Normand Guest

the fly tyers benchside reference by leeson & schollmyer

learn the techniques first and then the patterns

I really like Skip Morris' books and tutorials.
    Here's one of his books specifically for trout:
    http://www.amazon.com/Trout-Flies-Ri...N%3D0811704769
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Here are two books I find to be exceptional for trout patterns and tying techniques:

Tying Dry Flies, 3rd edition by Randall Kaufmann
    Tying Nymphs, 3rd edition by Randall Kaufmann
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Since your after patterns and not techniques I wouldn't suggest The Tyers Benchside Reference. It is THE book for techniques, but not patterns or recipes. Trout Flies by Dave Hughes has tons of patterns, but a lot of them are variations of similar patterns. For wet flies A Guide to North Country Flies and How to Tie Them by Mike Harding is one I suggest to tyers getting into wets.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

I've got to agree with REE on this one. If you want patterns, not technique, the Hughes book, Trout Flies, is DEFINITELY the way to go. I also like Patterns of the Umpqua Feather Merchants as a pattern reference. 8T

Blog Entries

Whoa, I think we are forgetting a big one here! My FAVORITE book for patterns is the FFF - Fly Pattern Encyclopedia edited by Mr. Al & Mrs. Gretchen Beatty!

And thus far trout have hit every fly I used for largemouthed bass. So, in my experience trout can be very unpicky, and "flies for trout" doesn't tell me what kind of patterns you are looking for, but maybe that's just cause i haven't hung out around here enough to have learned that yet. *wink*

Karli-Rae
    Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Default This is one to stay away from ....

Quote Originally Posted by Normand View Post
    the fly tyers benchside reference by leeson & schollmyer...
    .... if you are interested in patterns, which is what "nyfisherman" is asking about.

It is so worthless from a fisherman's point of view that I gave mine away here on FAOL a couple years ago. Haven't missed it at all.

I think Karli probably hit the nail on the head with the suggestion on Al and Gretchen's book.

John
    The fish are always right.

I was not going to post to this thread, but, I have to. I cannot agree with anyone who states that The Fly Tyers Benchside Reference by Leeson & Schollmyer is worthless! I have this book plus many, many fly tying pattern books and they all have their place at my tying table. Of what value is a pattern book if a person does not know how to do some of the tying steps to tie a pattern they see? I have been tying flies and teaching beginners how to tie for close to 20 years and I will be the first to tell you that I do not know how to do some of the techniques for some patterns and that is where my copy of The Fly Tyers Benchside Reference comes in. Of course, I could be wrong and I am the only person who does not understand all tying techniques for all patterns. There is a need for a pattern book and there is a need for the benchside reference for: tying in weed guards, tandem hooks, woven bodies, extended bodies, upright wings, spun, flared, stacked and clipped bodies, fur-strip and hide-strip bodies, spinning deer hair and on and on...

Sorry folks, but I just cannot agree with calling this book "junk" and "worthless"

I will get off my soap box now and crawl back into my box....Sorry
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

WarrenP,

My benchside Reference is just that, my benchside reference. Should I run across a technique I don't quite understand or remember clearly I grab the book. I don't use it all that often, but when I need it, I'm sure glad it's there.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

+ Reply to Thread