+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chest vs Waist high waders

Default Chest vs Waist high waders

Hi
    It's spring and I nedd to replace waders and wonder what your experience with waist high waders has been? Because of limitations of foot injuries it seems I seldom get into deep water and the waist is appealing.
    Thanks
    Dave

Spike - I have a ankle injury that will never go away and I understand your concern. Most chest waders today are designed to fold down to give your the movement, freedom and comfort of waist waders. Alabet not the same of course but close.

spike-2
    I agree with Jonezee. All the chest high I have seen can be rolled down or folded to make waist high. Then you take the guess work out.
    I'm in the bad ankle club also. I play in a rock and roll band and one year I fell off a 30" drum riser and landed with my foot turned. I felt the snap, but finished the night with a rag full of ice around my ankle and several shots of Tequila (medicinal LOL) Turned out I did break my ankle. Didn't stop me though. I bout a waterproof duffle (12" x 36"). stuck my foot in that, then rapped it with bungies and wore a hip wader on the other leg.
    Whatever it takes......

------------------
    she who dies with the most toy's wins.

spike-2:

If the budget allows, check out the Simms [url=http://www.simmsfishing.com/za/SIM?PAGE=PRODUCT_DETAILS&CAT=waders&PROD.ID=40958: bedb9]RiverTek[/url:bedb9] stocking foot waders.

Although all waders roll down, the Simms are specifically desigened for the purpose with a very light upper.

I've had mine almost a year now and I love them!

Probably the chest highs with the fold down feature gives you the best of both worlds. I went with waist highs because I wanted to set an upper limit that I should not exceed. I had a bad scare a few years ago and I'm not getting any younger, either! LOL
    Bob
    Good Tying and Good Fishing!
    Bob

Over the years I've kept both as I've fished in two distinict areas, one of which the water is never over knee deep, and that's where I've always worn the waist high's.

Now, I'm getting to the age where endurance to stand against a good current in waist high waters has begun to wane, so I seldom go into over knee deep water anymore, anyway.

A friend of mine just bought a neat pair of waist high's for $59.95 at ProBass; bottoms are rubber and the tops (from about the knees) are sort of a felt material. I tried them on and they seem to be very comfortable. My waist high's are about shot and I'm thinking about going that direction.

Dale

Fly Goddess, you gotta picture of that outfit with the one wader and the baloon bag? I think that would make a nice Hardy Girl poster. LOL. Here we go again, off the subject...sorry.

I very rarely use my chest highs any more. I'm just not comfortable wading that deep. In the past 4 years, I've only had one situation where the waist high's limited my ability to fish --a canyon where I needed to cross a small deep spot to get further upstream.

The waist highs are more comfortable and cost less.

Chest High Waders, will get you into more problem situations on the stream, than Waist High Waders. Just as Waist High Waders, will get you into more problem situations, than Hip Waders.

The further out you go into the depth of the stream, the less you can see what is on the stream bed.

Remember the famous phrase of "Tweety Bird", "Be careful, that next step is a Woo Woo!"

~Parnelli

I'll check on that picture LOL
    I insist that my ol' man wear chest. If there is one hole in the whole river, he will find it!

------------------
    she who dies with the most toy's wins.

+ Reply to Thread