+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Not FF Starting insulin

Hybrid View

nighthawk Guest

Default Not FF Starting insulin

As most of you know I have been battling type II diabetes for a while now. Was really keeping it under control with diet and hiking/walking/mountain biking. Then along comes the runaway thyroid. Seems it may have pushed me over the top into type I diabetes. My numbers have gone up to spike at times over 400 and staying in the 200-300 range for glucose.

Doc says I am this is why I am tired and is complicated by recovering from the thyroid issues. Makes sense because the body needs to burn that glucose for energy and I am not burning it. So yesterday we started using insulin to try to get me going again. She says if we are lucky then I will be able to come back off of the insulin once we get things under control but be ready to be on it the rest of my life just in case. I told her I don't mind having to take insulin the rest of my days if that is what it takes to help me stay healthy. Like I told her there is no sense in denying it better to face it head on, right now then have to deal with it much worse, later on.

They have me using one of the injector pens, Levemir it is. Really easy, painless to use. I would normally be at work at this time of the morning but I am not used to my blood sugar being low again so I am having a little issue adjusting today. That's life. Not feeling sorry for myself or anything. Just rambling on a bit here and hopefully since diabetes is getting so widespread now my postings will help someone else in the fight against this disease.

Thanks for letting me ramble.

Eric

Feel free to ramble, and if you have any questions about it, feel free to PM me. Levemir is a good start, are you on any other insulin as far as mealtime? I think your good attitude will carry you far.
    Drew
    "I don't drink anymore, I freeze it and eat it like a popsicle"

Not to worry Eric. Ramble on. We're family here. It's encouraging to here you say you're attacking this thing head on. Sounds to me like you have a great attitude.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Hey Eric,

You know we all need to let a little out from time to time. Sorry to hear the diabetes has gain ground on you but grateful for modern medicine. At least you seem to accepting enough to follow the MD's instructions. I have seen so many people so set in their ways to do whatever they wanted to do regardless of what was to follow. Stay on top of it, you will be in our prayers.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

nighthawk Guest

Drew,
    I am currently on 500mg Metformin 3 times daily but we may reduce that due to the effects of it on my constitution.

I recently purchased one of these:

http://www.walgreens.com/search/resu...ecType=product

It has been a God send! They have a free software program at the bayer website that collects all of the datat from the meter. The software generates all typs of graphs, charts and printouts for your doctor. You can even email the info to your doc as a PDF file.

Thanks all for letting me talk about this here. The responses and PMs are much appreciated. I am hoping that as I get to feeling better my love of our sport and ability to stay on the stream will return. I am going to buy my license for 2011 soon and yes I will buy the trout stamp with it.

Hi Eric,

Glad to hear the doc's got some new ideas on your treatment and that they appear to be working. Nice to hear you mention that you'll pick up your licence for 2011 soon. That, above all else, tells me that this treatment schedule is working.

- Jeff
    Am fear a chailleas a chanain caillidh e a shaoghal. -

He who loses his language loses his world.

Let's hope this does it for ya Eric!
    You're in our prayers.
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

+ Reply to Thread