+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: something new in fly tying land

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Normand View Post
    ron

this thread may have more side by side pic of the law and cae vises for comparison

http://www.flyforums.co.uk/834220-post48.html

norm

Hi, I said it looks a lot like my LAW vise. How do they get away with that? I know that copying is a form of flattery, but may also involve lost revenues????

Byron,

I'm not sure Lawrence Waldron had a copyright or patent on his vise. He is also retiring from making the LAW Bench Vise and has stopped taking orders some time ago. He may not care about infringement. Since his retirement announcement, two very similar vises have hit the market place, both being discussed here.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Eagle Elk View Post
    Byron,

I'm not sure Lawrence Waldron had a copyright or patent on his vise. He is also retiring from making the LAW Bench Vise and has stopped taking orders some time ago. He may not care about infringement. Since his retirement announcement, two very similar vises have hit the market place, both being discussed here.

REE

Ron, that's too bad. What one other than the new cae? Guess I missed that one. Did he do that well with the snow bee????

Byron,

The other vise is the one designed by Eckitch. Personally, I like the look of the Damscus steel version. http://www.automaticbobbin.com/seal.htm

I don't know if Lawrence did that well financially with the Snowbee-Waldron, but the design and manufacture is great. Not a handmade vise for sure, but a well made tying tool for certain. I've been using mine hard for a couple of years at least. The only reason I'd buy another vise is if I suddenly became filthy rich and could have anything I wanted immediately.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

Quote Originally Posted by thorarinna View Post
    Lotech, why do you say $545?
    I saw prices from $206 to $350
    Isn't that the price for a working vise, do you need to buy some extra stuff?

Thorarinn.
    If I'm not mistaken, that was 206 to 350 pounds. At 350 pounds, that would make roughly $545. Could be wrong though. My Danvise isn't near as pretty, but it does a darn fine job.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Come on guys, it's not about doing a fine job. If that were the case we would all be driving cars without radios, pants without zippers and still boiling our hotdogs instead of nuking them.

Daydream a little. I don't think I will be buying a Bugatti any time soon but I sure do like to look at them.
    Thanks Old Man GO IRISH!

I once read that the author of Black Ghost which was a hatmaker was asked to show how she tied her fly.
    She did it and to everyonce surprice she didn't use a vise, she did it with her two hands as she was used to make her hats.

So you don't need the fancy tools.
    Having said that, I have to admit that I convinced my wife to give me a Nor-vice for Xmas. It's now somewhere on its way between the US and Iceland
    I love my wife, I don't understand how she puts up with me but I adore her taste (in men)

I agree REE

JAD
    Fish like predator.

+ Reply to Thread