+ Reply to Thread

Thread: "Fishing The Film", A New Gary Borger Book

Default "Fishing The Film", A New Gary Borger Book

I hope you won't consider this spam, but I am really excited about this book. If the administrators want to pull this post, please do so.

I had dinner with Gary and Nancy last night and received a copy of Gary's latest book, Fishing The Film. I've said in the past that one of the best books on fly fishing was Gary's Presentation, which has been out of print for years. Copies are available at premium prices.

There is currently a Limited Edition on Ebay for $2000.00

I have something a lot cheaper and in more detail; that is the first volume of Gary's 20 volume set on fly fishing. The first volume is on fishing the film, that transitional few mms when an emerger becomes a dry fly. I was a copy reader for the the manuscript and didn't have the photos and illustrations that are in the final copy.

I believe this book is the single best book on the subject. It will be a book you will not only read but study. It is that good. Expect a review in Fly Fish America and Midcurrent Magazine. Look for the book in the stores soon.

It is a hard cover that retails for $24.95. It should be in every serious fly fisher's library. Don't just put it on the shelf, but read and study it, and use the techniques that Gary describes. It will make you a better fly fisher.

Here's a photo of my copy.

Last edited by Silver Creek; 12-01-2010 at 03:34 PM.
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Silver, can't wait to get a copy. Several years ago Gary spent some time with my wife at a Utah Sportsmen's Expo where he taught her the three-point grip and it changed her casting abilities for the better. I purchased the "Presentation" book for my father-in-law several years ago and finally got a copy for myself at my local thrift store for $2 bucks just over a month ago (valued at over $100).

Kelly.
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

You got a bargain on Presentation, as you well know.

I tell Gary every few months that he should republish Presentation. Instead, he decided to expand it to a 20 volume fly fishing encyclopedia. Fishing the Film is the first volume. It contains a section on the casts needed to fish the film and casting and the 3 point grip are described. There will be two later volumes just on casting, the first titiled The Perfect Cast

His next volume will be Reading The Waters. I've proof read that manuscript as well. The third volume will be titled Long Flies and will be about streamers and streamer fishing.
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

I'm delighted to hear he is going to do the series - not that fly fishing needs a 20 volume set - but he is a wonderful writer who gets his message across to the reader. That is a problem with much of what is currently in print, it isn't helping anyone but the writer who hopefully got paid for the book. We would love to review it here as well, we have a bit of a reputation for doing excellent, fair reviews just in case anyone is listening.
    I also have my autographed copy of Presentation which I reviewed in detail here as well.

Gary has such staying power! At the Great Waters Expos these past few years, he's drawn huge crowds and it's easy to see why. He masterful with both the written and demonstrated word. Here in Maine, my little 12 year olds in the middle school fly fishing club have discovered his old VHS videos, and are glued to the screen.

Looking forward to the books.

Kat
    Last edited by Kathy Scott; 12-03-2010 at 10:39 AM.

+ Reply to Thread