+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Level Line Suggestions?

Default Level Line Suggestions?

I'm new to Tenkara and was wondering what suggestions anyone had as a source for level line material. Reading on Tenkara USA it appears to be lengths of plain fluorocarbon. Suggestions for material and sources?

Some use 15# floro

Fluorocarbon is definitely the best choice for level lines, but not all fluorocarbon lines are the same. Personally, I really value having a hi-vis line. When fishing wet flies or nymphs, you can easily see little twitches or hesitations that may be the only indication of a subtle strike, and when fishing dries it will be much easier to follow your cast and find you fly. I am convinced you will catch more fish if you use a line you can easily see. The only problem is that in the US, the biggest selling point for fluorocarbon is that it is harder for fish to see, so almost no one markets a hi-vis fluorocarbon (although if you do a google search for hi-vis fluorocarbon tenkara line you can find it). I've tried to use clear fluorocarbon,which was impossible to see. I've also tried Stren's fluorescent blue and Berkley's transition, and although they are easier to see in full sunshine, I still find them hard to see in deep shade or late evening. If you get something like a fluorescent orange, it will be easy for you to see, and the fish don't seem to mind it.
    Tenkara Bum

Bill:

CM Stewart is being modest. Go to his website and buy some of the Tenkara Bum Hi-Viz level line in the size & length you feel will suit you and your rod the best. I originally started out with Yo-Zuri Pink Fluorocarbon in 14 lb test and it worked great, but I couldn't see it which I felt was a major hindrance to the way I like to fish.

I switched to Chris' line and the visibility issues were gone and the performance was the same or better.

$.02 from an extreme Tenkara rookie.

The other day a friend of mine gave me some 000 level fly line... Running line I think they call it.
    He also had some 10# Running line in Flu. Yellow. We tied up some 14 foot lines for out 13 foot rods and went to the lake.
    Worked just fine. he also had some 15# weight Running Line which I found a little heavy for my rod.
    I like the tapered braided Tenkara lines too. What ever line you use... I agree with the high visibility guys. (I can see the line.)
    I think you'll find that different lines work under different fishing situations.
    Wind, sunny or deep shade, type of rod, weight or type fly, how and where you like to fish.
    Just keep trying different stuff till you find something you like. That's part of the fun of Tenkara.

I agree with the above posts and will second the comment about Chris Stewart's lines. You can find hi viz fluoro but why pay $30 or more dollars for a roll when you only need a few feet. Chris has done all the legwork and experimenting and only makes a small profit if any for his time and efforts in saving you the time and time is money. As for the other traditional fly line use, most of us fished traditional fly lines enough to have a ready supply available. If you don't, you can try the stuff pre-made on eBay under "tenkara" or the lines at allfishingbuy all of which are reasonably priced.

Randy

Thanks to all! The visibility issue is one I can relate to. So, taking Bambozzle and Randy's advice, I ordered a set of the Hi-Vis lines from Chris.
    Thanks,
    Bill

+ Reply to Thread