+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pulling strength of trout

This is a most interesting topic and I'm hopeful I can learn something here.
    Most of my fishing is done to wary trout in very clear water.
    Thus, my tippets have to be rather small. Most times 6X, sometimes, depending on water clarity and fly size,
    either 5 or 7X. Most fish average 12 to 14 inches. There's always the possibility of a much larger one. I've caught some of these bad boys and lost a lot more. Usually my fault in fighting the fish but several times I've lost them to various other reasons. Most times it's been at a knot connection, not any fault of the tippet or leader.

Educate me!

Bob
    When you can arrange your affairs to go fishing, forget all the signs, homilies, advice and folklore. JUST GO.

Once upon a time I caught a brown in the White River, below the dam in the proximate location of the state park (Arkansas), that measured 26" - not that big of a trout for those waters - and did not weigh same. In the same waters and on the same outing I also caught a 19" and a 20" and I was surprised that these two smaller trout gave a bigger fight. Some things in the fishing department are hard to figure.

I recently caught about a 12-14 inch brown in the Little Red that fought me tooth and nail. Took forever to land it. The very next cast I caught about 16-18 inch brown that I literally just pulled in like it was nothing. Same spot in the river, same fly, same rod, same everything. Go figure.
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

Smallies are strong, without a doubt. Bluegills too, for their size. Don't discount white bass and wipers either! Oh, and while we're at it, catfish and carp are mighty powerful as well.
    Come to think of it... There have been very few fish I didn't enjoy catching. Regardless of species, there DO seem to be a few slackers in every bunch.

Doesn't body and tail shape affect a fish's pulling strength?

For nearly all my fly-fishing, I used 3x-0x leaders/tippet, simply because I can, and I have a lot of confidence that very few fish will be lost due to broken lines. For those who fish trout streams with tiny dry flies and midges, I can certainly see the need for smaller diameter leaders & tippets.

It surprises me that almost all of my broken lines this year were due to trout. Landing fresh stocker trout without a net
    apparently takes its toll on the line. Those buggers won't hold still, and I suspect their toothy jaws wreak havoc when sawed against the line enough times.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

I do the same in warm water. 0-3X.
    Trout usually 6-7X unless it is early in am or late in evening, then I go to 1-3X in case a monster brown hits.
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

Same as people folks, IMO,, Genetics and enviornment will be the biggest contributing factors in this discussion

Quote Originally Posted by FishnDave View Post
    For nearly all my fly-fishing, I used 3x-0x leaders/tippet, simply because I can, and I have a lot of confidence that very few fish will be lost due to broken lines.
    I should mention I use mainly 2x and 3x leaders/tippet on my 5wt and 6wt rods, and 1x and 0x leaders/tippet on my 7wt and 8wt rods.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Blog Entries

I have caught huge numbers of different kinds of fish on the fly and trout are way down near the bottom for fight... Most incredible fighting fish I ever dealt with was a smallish tuna.

But I have also seen halibut hooked in shallower water do a very impressive tail-walk.
    art

+ Reply to Thread