+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Favorite snacks & beverages while tying?

Hybrid View

Default Favorite snacks & beverages while tying?

A friend & I were recently discussing our eating & imbibing habits while tying flies. Personally, I will almost always have a beer, birch beer, or Vernor's Ginger Ale, VERY infrequently a coffee & maybe some Combos cheese filled pretzels, Cheez-its, fudge, or beef jerky. I stay away from real greasy or gooey stuff. What's your preference, or do you refuse to eat or drink at the bench?
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

Blog Entries

York peppermint patties! I ate them a lot this summer while tying, so now one reminds me of the other.
    Imagination is more important than knowledge.

If I drank beer while tying, I'd be in the gutter. I tie 4-6 hours a day for work and start at 9AM.

Coffee with a scoop of hot chocolate in the morning, a Coke in the afternoon. No food anywhere near the tying bench, ever.

Right now while I'm tying, ya tying, I'm listening/watchig the news while reading this link and I've got some IBC Rootbeer and a box of Triscuits.

I drink Diet Pepsi insistently. It can't be good for me.

I tied up a bunch of flies for the fall steelhead run this year and I would have to say the beverage of choice was SWEET ICED TEA with lemon, the concentrate from Arizona Ice Tea; served up in my favorite tin cup that I got from the Cuyahoga County Fair. Originally it had root beer in it and I noticed how cold it kept my beverage and how long the ice last.

As far as munching goes I really like the pretzel / wool blend. As I was chewing I noticed how the pretzel and wool became one, it was almost like the everlasting pretzel, kinda like gum. And Lays has a new chip out that is salted with sea salt. It went very well with the olive died deer hair, not so much with the natural; the natural deer hair was gamey and gave me the wind. (I know sharing too much)

Oh yea and the Loons Knot Sense with rabbit hair I ate that to get the Sally Hansen’s taste out of my mouth (don't ask)
    Thanks Old Man GO IRISH!

Cold Guest

Nice, LEHB. I like the subtle interaction of seasonal flavors with marabou and pumpkin pie...or zonker hairs and apple pie...

In all seriousness, though, I never eat while tying. The thought of the chemicals used to kill the bugs and preserveanimal skins is enough to curb my appetite. Occasionally, I'll have a drink beside me, but even this is rare, as the condensation gets my hands wet.

I used to have a Crown on the rocks while tying but started to notice my flies looked nothing like the pictures of what I was going after so I stopped the Crown on the rocks and went to beer and noticed the same thing that the flies looked nothing like the pictures! started drinking straight coke and dang-it the flies still don't look like the picture so I think I'm going back to Crown I came up with some of my better patterns

I like to munch on cheese, crackers, and summer sausage and have found that oils from the cheese and summer sausage make dubbing much eaiser with the synthetic materials plus I think the trout like the flavor of the cheese oils LMAO I did figure out that when using marabou keep your food items high and away from the vice! that stuff floats around and gets into everything and well the taste is not that great. Later,

Kirk

Quote Originally Posted by Lake Erie High Ball View Post
    I drink Diet Pepsi insistently. It can't be good for me.

I tied up a bunch of flies for the fall steelhead run this year and I would have to say the beverage of choice was SWEET ICED TEA with lemon, the concentrate from Arizona Ice Tea; served up in my favorite tin cup that I got from the Cuyahoga County Fair. Originally it had root beer in it and I noticed how cold it kept my beverage and how long the ice last.

As far as munching goes I really like the pretzel / wool blend. As I was chewing I noticed how the pretzel and wool became one, it was almost like the everlasting pretzel, kinda like gum. And Lays has a new chip out that is salted with sea salt. It went very well with the olive died deer hair, not so much with the natural; the natural deer hair was gamey and gave me the wind. (I know sharing too much)

Oh yea and the Loons Knot Sense with rabbit hair I ate that to get the Sally Hansen?s taste out of my mouth (don't ask)
    Sean,
    Only a Cop could come up with such a response! I shoulda known.
    Mikey
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

Bass_Bug Guest

Never any food while tying. Not by the turn off of chemicals or anything, but I will get a snack sometimes if I get up for a break, but will finish that before going back to tying. Beverage on the other hand, maybe half the time I'll have something to drink when tying. Sometimes a beer or lemonade in the summer, maybe a double shot of bourbon to sip between flies in the colder months.

Like Lotech I usually have a cup of coffee that ends up cold. I have the TV on if there is a good baseball game. I can always watch the replay. If no ballgame then old time country music on the computer.

http://worriersanonymous.org/Music/C...untrymusic.htm

Tim

+ Reply to Thread