+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fly with Stinkum on it? Illegal n C&R?

Default Fly with Stinkum on it? Illegal n C&R?

Plain Old Jim with yet another 3yr old question. In our C&R creek it is artificial lure, single barbless hook only, C&R.

If you buy some liver flavored or some other kind of fish lure liquid at Wal-Mat...to perhaps disguise the human smell left on your fly before you thow it in the water......is that now a BAIT and therefore illegal? It will soon wash away...but the Game & Fish guy seeing you apply it....can he cite you?

Maybe I can just change the label and tell him it's just hook de-magnetizer and not a bait. Ha

Gem

[This message has been edited by Plain Old Jim (edited 25 March 2006).]

Jim,

I'd ask before you do it, just to be sure.

Some of the game laws can be a bit odd in their applications.

Personally, I never use any subsurface fly that hasn't been treated with a masking liquid. I fish mostly for bass, and have proven to myself that offensive odors left on a fly can and will negatively effect my catch rate. Do it for trout flies, too, but no clue if it helps. No reason I can see to do it with floating flies.

We seldom have any control on what was put on or used on the materials we purchase, and the use of glues, cements, and such has the potential to leave negative odors behind. Add to that what may be on our hands from everyday activities, and I just think it's smart not to take chances with it.

I do it at the bench, as part of the tying process. It's the 'last step' before the fly goes into it's bin.

So far, I've never been approached on any C&R water I fish and 'asked' if I scent my flies. But then again, I've never even SEEN a game warden on any of these waters...they tend to hang out in the parking areas looking for poachers...

Good Luck!

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

"I do it at the bench, as part of the tying process. It's the 'last step' before the fly goes into it's bin."

Buddy, mind sharing what you use?

The thread[s] about spinners seems to indicate they[spinners] do significantly increase catch rates....do you think scents SIGNIFICANTLY increase catch rates?

If you're concerned about the smell of preservatives, head cement, etc. on your flies here's something that may help. About thirty years ago an Amish flyfisher I met on a Central PA. stream told me to always rub my subsurface flies on a slimey rock or in the mud at the bottom of the stream before I fish the fly. It masks non stream smells and helps make your fly more buggy and, he claimed, more appealing to trout. I sometimes do it, sometimes not. But, I asked about this practice on a local PA. flyfishing website a while ago and was amazed at the number of folks who said they NEVER fish subsurface flies without doing it. Most of them said it works very well.
    However, I personally doubt it makes much difference in a fast riffle. My $0.02.

Buddy,

I'd love to hear your process and what you use to eliminate/cover the odor. I am also an avid bass fisherman and many times I have seen bass slide up behind my fly, pump their jaws once to draw in water from around the fly and then cruise off. I know that there are times when fish (especially bass) use smell to as part of the decision process before taking a fly, but I have never found anything that works without making an oily mess that also ruins the action of the fly. So are you willing to spill your guts to your fellow FAOL anglers???

Jim Smith

California's fishing regs are very clear on the subject:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana">quote:</font><HR>
    1.11. Artificial Lure.
    An artificial lure is a man-made lure or fly
    designed to attract fish. This definition does not
    include scented or flavored artificial baits
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Other states may or may not be as explicit but since at least one forbids it, it's worth checking your state's regs for the official answer.

Up in our neck of the woods the regulations are quite clear, but what do they mean. The definition of bait is;
    - any foodstuff or natural substance used to attract fish, other than wood, cotton, hair, fur or feathers. It does not include finfish other than roe. It includes roe, worms and other edible substances, as well as scents and flavourings containing natural substances or nutritents.

Now I just need someone to define what a natural substance is. ..WD40?

Colorado's fishing reg's specifically prohibit the use of sent on artifical flies an lures used in C&R waters. They also specifically prohibit the use of realistic molded plastic lures in these areas...

It would interesting to argue to the wildlife guy whether or not your lure was "realisticly molded" plastic.

+ Reply to Thread