+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Split Shot

Hybrid View

Default Split Shot

What kind do you use? I have been using Dinsmore Egg shot for a number of years. But lately, I just can't keep the stuff on the line. I use more shot than I ever have because it keeps coming off.

I'm interested in other brands. I also think shot should have some sort of notch in it to keep it in place, like the cheap lead shot.

Cheers,
    Mike.
    ~Lost Time is Never Found Again~

One way to deal with this is to tie an overhand knot in your tippet - but leave it open. Place your split shot inside the knot with the cross over in the split shot opening. Tighten the knot and then close the split shot.

Because the knot hasn't closed on itself, it will not weaken the tippet. The shot will not fall off nor will it slide down the tippet.

I generally use Dinsmore but also Gremlin Green.

-Steven (from Hyde Park)
    Last edited by Steven; 11-29-2010 at 02:50 PM.

Normand Guest

i use the green gremlin shots

i just insert the tippet in the shot, make 1 loop around the shot and close it up. doesnt slip or come loose

Quote Originally Posted by Normand View Post
    i use the green gremlin shots

i just insert the tippet in the shot, make 1 loop around the shot and close it up. doesnt slip or come loose
    I've never actually considered making a loop around shot. Seems like I could loop around it and close it. Could open the shot and remove it no problem. Add shot too...

I may have to try this. Tippet ever break at the shot with this method?

Cheers,
    Mike.

When I used to use the hand-tied leaders as instructed by Gary Borger, which resulted in a 6 to 8-inch tippet to the first fly, I would attach the shot just above the tippet knot where it would stay. I have since moved on to 'spun' (similar to furled, but not quite the same...) leaders which are a bit different at the terminal end, and I now use a weighted 'Rubberlegs' fly as the top fly and the weight to get it down, followed by my other nymph offerings.

I, too, used the Dinsmore shot and loved it, both because I always used the non-toxic, non-lead shot as well as using a selection of sizes to get pretty specific for depth and speed of drift.

As of changing to using a different method, with no shot, I haven't noticed much of a change, in fact, I feel like I can detect the strikes much better due to my present setup.

Kelly.
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    One way to deal with this is to tie an overhand knot in your tippet - but leave it open. Place your split shot inside the knot with the cross over in the split shot opening. Tighten the knot and then close the split shot.

Because the knot hasn't closed on itself, it will not weaken the tippet. The shot will not fall off nor will it slide down the tippet.

I generally use Dinsmore but also Gremlin Green.

-Steven (from Hyde Park)
    Steven - you're not that far from me (Little Italy).

I generally add/remove shot when I'm moving along a river and working different pockets, pools, etc. because of the different flows, depths etc. Not sure I can work your method?

Cheers,
    Mike.

I love the restaurants on Taylor St. - particularly Francesca's. Good French place around there too but the name escapes me. When my son's in town, we wind up eating alot at John's Polish stand on Roosevelt just off the Edens.

Basically, it's the same deal as Normand described. Maybe a little harder but maybe a little more secure. Just open the shot and push the knot open. I fish the Driftless alot and it works fine although to be honest, most of the time when I nymph (and I most definitely don't nymph most of the time), I just clamp the shot right above the tippet knot. If I lose it, I just add another.

I use tungsten putty. Much more versatile than split shot. Can use any amount, shape it the way you want, and place it where you need it on the leader. I generally place it just above the tippet knot so it stays in place.

I use Blackbird round shot ,stays put,really good dispenser. Really does not slide on line.
    http://www.fishusa.com/Blackbird-Split-Shot_p.html

John
    Fish like predator.

+ Reply to Thread