Very good advice, I am in the US Army and am returning from Afghanistan to Fort Drum, NY soon where I will be taking my Soldiers out for some ice fishing as well as a trip up the legendary Salmon river where I already fish quite a bit. I bought a couple of hand held, water proof radios which are compatible with some personal radios we already have, and was able to find some rugged plastic whistles (metal sticks to skin when it's cold) for emergencies, if you break your leg it will be a lot easier to whistle for help than to yell. I also keep a spare change of clothes and shoes, gloves, etc. in the trunk of my car in case I wade deep. A extreme cold weather sleeping bag, pup tent and a portable hiking heater as well as a better first aid kit than the one I carry in my fishing gear. It might seem excessive but it's like owning a gun- It's better to have one and not need one than to need one and not have one.
I also had been debating on a PFD fly vest for quite some time and finally decided to order one for when I return, I am not the worlds greatest swimmer and really when the water is 32 degrees and the air is below zero, it really doesn't matter how well you can swim. This year I have been asked by two Soldiers to teach them and thier kids how to fish and I want to instill safety right from the beginning.
Can't wait to get home to try out all my new stuff.
SSG Robert L. Hall
Afghanistan