+ Reply to Thread

Thread: DOOR NUMBER TWO - Ladyfisher - November 29, 2010

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Default DOOR NUMBER TWO - Ladyfisher - November 29, 2010

DOOR NUMBER TWO

You may not be old enough to remember an old television show where the contestants had a choice of the prizes hidden behind a couple of doors. Not like the lady and the tiger story where one was likely to kill you, but one prize was always much more substantial than the others - the difference between a refrigerator and a car for example. Pretty big stuff if you were called randomly from the studio audience!

Hallelujah! Lady Fisher, you nailed it.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

amen! That is telling it like it really is!
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Default It Is Not Charity, It Is Paying Forward!

December, in 1969, I found myself stuck in Washington D.C.! I was near the end of my trip back to the U.S.A. from West Germany, on military orders to report to Ft. Belvoir, VA. I was without any U.S. Currency, only having German Marks, that I was unable to convert, because it was 9 PM on a Sunday night in Washington D.C. I just spent the last three days in transits from Nuremberg, West Germany, because of delays it my travel connections.

Here I was, stuck in the Nation's Capital, with the streets covered with the snow that was still falling when I arrived late in the night. I had not eaten a meal since the meal on the airplane (somewhere over the Atlantic over 18 hours earlier). All I had for money was in German Marks, and still had another 18 miles to travel to report for duty at Fort Belvoir.

Washington D.C seemed so deserted, the only lighted government building was the Nation's Capital Dome off in the distance, all the other government building windows were dark, felt if I was walking through a cemetary. Walking down one of the main streets, with a map I tore from a public phone book as my only guide on finding Ft. Belvoir I walk down the city street, carrying my duffel bag on my shoulder, suitcase in my hand, and banjo case strapped over my back. It was cold, but I had my Army Wool Dressed Uniform on, as well as my Army Dress Overcoat, with my Army Dress Jump Boots; so I was not worried about the cold or the snow. I just had to walk 18 miles to get to my next duty station.

I saw a light, shining out of a store front window couple block ahead. As I got closer to the only light shining out on to the dark and deserted snow cover street, I saw that is was Salvation Army Soup Kitchen. Being tired, and hungry, I step inside the door of the Soup Kitchen to warm up, and hopefully getting a cup of coffee!

I guess I looked like a duck out of water to those inside, which my military uniform with the 4th Armored Division Patch on my uniform. Long Story made short..... not only did I get my cup of coffee, they also feed me, I had three helping, that was how hungry I am become without realizing it. The cook who was serving me, telling me that there was more where that came from....asked me where I was heading. When I told him, I was walking the last 18 miles to report for duty, because I only had German Marks, and no way to pay for transportation to my new unit, the cook told me that if I waited a hour, he would drive me to the base.

When he came out to drive me to Ft. Belvoir, the cook had changed into his Salvation Army Uniform (he was Major)!

Since that day, I have alway been "Paying Forward", helping g those who are unable to help themselves. I think that there are many organizations that are there when people need help. Salvation Army is one, so it the L.I.O.N.S International, as well as the Rotary, and many others.
    All are helping those who for whatever reason, have fallen through our Nation's "Saftey Net", I also support the U.S.O.! While I was in military service, I was always there to help soldiers that were stuck in transits, running out of funds....telling them to just "Pay it forward....."!

Platoon Sergeant Steven H. McGarthwaite
    U.S. Army, Retired, 1968-1995
    "Everyone you meet in life, give you happiness! Some by their arrival, others by their departure!" ~Parnelli

Blog Entries

Well said! That message seems to have become less and less prevalent these days when it needs to be proclaimed even more.
    Better to be an active environmentalist than and environmental activist.

FFMIRSWTNBOF
    (Full Fledged Member in Raunchy Standing-Within The NBOF)

Amen Ladyfisher! How have Christians allowed a celebration of the birth of their Savior to be come so corrupted that it's all about getting stuff from people? Make it a season of GIVING, and you won't have that hollow feeling in the pit of your stomach when it's all over.

LF thank for a very well written and meaningful article...

Merry Christmas...
    "Because by the Grace of God I can, be on a beautiful mountain stream with a friend , have the water boil from a 12" Native Brookie taking a self tyed dry,and feel it on the end of my cane... It don't get no better than that..."

+ Reply to Thread