+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Emu

Hybrid View

Default Emu

Last night a relative and I got talking and he asked me to send him a couple of pictures using Emu in a fly.

So I tied these this morning on a #8 Mustaf 9671.

Tim
    Attached Images Attached Images

Pan,

Nice. Those will have some action in the water. Well done.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

Those the fish's attention
    Nice tyes

wet
    Working Trout Bum

The second pattern made me immediately think 'dragon fly nymph'...nice ties !

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

Default Emu Herl

Peacock Herl/Ostrich Herl/Emu Hurl; Peacock Herl, is the shortest, with Ostrich Herl being larger, but not as large as Emu Herl!

All have their proper place in fly tying depending on the size of the hook and the fly pattern. I found that the stem on the Emu Herl is some what difficult to cover over with herl when wrapping the material on the hook shank. I found that when wrapping with Emu herl to make sure that the there is no herl buried under the stem when wrapping. I normally when wrapping the hook shank remove the material from the stem that would be caught under the wraps.

I also found that the Emu Herl stem to be somewhat more stiff, making it harder to wrapping around the small diameter of the hook shank! So to compensate for this I dress the hook shank with a couple of layers of thread wraps to increase the diameter of the dressed hook shank. ~Parnelli
    "Everyone you meet in life, give you happiness! Some by their arrival, others by their departure!" ~Parnelli

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaMoose View Post
    The second pattern made me immediately think 'dragon fly nymph'...nice ties !

Cheers,

MontanaMoose
    MM, I'm always on the lookout for dragon and damsel fly nymph flies.....I think you are right ....modify the tail .... change colors.... and there you are.

Duck: The fly in the picture has a marabou tail and body, thorax of Emu and a glass bead. How would you modify it and what colors would you go for?

Thanks

Tim

Duck, on my laptop screen with my settings, the colour came through as olive mostly. You'd like some of the Umpqua 'gomphid' patterns and those either have a bright cone, dark cone, eyes in either bright barbell or black plastic. The damsel nymphs are almost the same but of course much smaller. Some of my Umpqua dragon fly nymphs are tyed on long shank #6's.

Great post Panman, thanx !

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

Quote Originally Posted by ducksterman View Post
    MM, I'm always on the lookout for dragon and damsel fly nymph flies.....I think you are right ....modify the tail .... change colors.... and there you are.

+ Reply to Thread